9 week old not smiling (or really making eye contact)

(10 Posts)
shirleycat1 Wed 26-Mar-14 19:31:54

DS2 is DC3. I can't remember when the other two did stuff, but I know I was never really worried. He's 9 weeks today and still not smiled at us, although he does seem to smile when he's asleep sometimes. He also doesn't really make eye contact much, although he does tend to stare up at me when I'm feeding him. He was born on time and is ebf. We are having some issues with slow weight gain but that's another story and I am dealing with that I think.

I wasn't too concerned then stupidly I googled it and autism came up again and again. I hadn't even thought about it until then and now I'm really freaking out.

I am hoping that someone will tell me I'm panicking for nothing, but if you have had a similar experience please let me know.

Thanks in advance...

lollipoppi Wed 26-Mar-14 20:36:06

Your panicking for nothing grin

Seriously though, all babies are different

My ds1 was a very smiley baby, you only had to look at him and he would burst into a real belly laugh
My DD on the other hand, is very serious like mummy she wasn't a smiley baby, and even now at 14mo she really makes me work hard to get a smile out of her

bonzo77 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:49:36

Was he early? Ds2 was 5 weeks prem and really didn't crack a smile till around 10-11 weeks. He's made up for it since!

shirleycat1 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:59:58

No he was bang on time. He always looks so serious - like he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders. I think with DC1 I had all the time in the world to try and engage him, a bit less time with DC2 and now with DC3 I'm trying to fit in a quick chat with him around feeding him, making tea, reading to someone, homework, school run, etc.

All I keep reading is that babies smile between 6-8 weeks.

I'm thought I wasn't going to be as stressed with my third!

shirleycat1 Wed 26-Mar-14 21:00:45

Thanks by the way...

Longdistance Wed 26-Mar-14 21:06:20

Have you tried blowing a raspberry on his tummy to see how he reacts?

shirleycat1 Wed 26-Mar-14 21:09:53

I haven't tried a raspberry, but I will...

littleblueballoon Wed 26-Mar-14 21:13:21

Maybe his eye sight is not good?

StrawberryGashes Wed 26-Mar-14 21:36:15

My son is autistic and I don't remember having any big concerns over eye contact or smiling at that age. Try not to worry, your baby is so small just now, enjoy them as much as you can while you're not struggling with sleep deprivation and explosive poos smile

shirleycat1 Thu 27-Mar-14 11:09:52

Thanks. Eyesight could be an issue I guess. I will persevere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now