2yo on the 0.3 height centile

(11 Posts)
hotair Wed 26-Mar-14 18:38:11

Recently had dc2's 2 year check at the health visitor. I knew she was on the short side, but her height has gone from just under the 50th % ile at the 9 month check (but I remember thinking at the time the HV was really stretching her out and that her head wasnt flush to the thing at the top, so could well have been under that) to 0.3 centile. She didn't have her length checked at any of her other interactions with HV/ midwives etc. So she is very very short. Her limbs are all perfectly in proportion, developmentally advanced, still has a lot of baby fat on her legs (her weight is on the 5/6th centile apparently which is only a very small dip since birth). She is a good eater and consumes a pretty varied diet. I am average height and dh is 6ft 2. However my maternal grandmother, my mother and several cousins on that side of the family are around 5ft and under. I hadn't been concerned that dd was small as I assumed it was genetic and I hadn't thought she was so so tiny. The HV was very shocked by how small she is but is checking about referral due to the extended family history. But now I'm really worried that there's something serious behind this and that there's some under lying problem. Can anyone offer me any reassurance, or should I march to the dr's and demand a paed refferal and blood tests.

ithoughtofitfirst Wed 26-Mar-14 18:58:16

Is it the 'drop' in height you're concerned about? I feel the same about my boy. I'm 5.5 and dh 6.1 but he seems so dainty... so weird. when i see other children i'm constantly comparing them to my ds. Interesting about your relatives, my family must be the same somewhere.

Loads of people have told me to 'ignore the red book' but you can't help worrying can you?

I was a tiny baby and toddler and baby (i had a massive growth spurt at about 18/19) and never got any grief about it in school or anything. Sorry i can't be more help other than just to say apparently that ventile business can be totally misleading ie a load of shit to make us worry about everything.

ithoughtofitfirst Wed 26-Mar-14 18:59:29

Centile** sorry damn phone

PartyConfused Wed 26-Mar-14 19:04:10

My dd is just 12mths and probably on about 0.2% for height and weight. She has had every check going and they haven't found anything wrong yet! She was prem, but apparently should have shown catch up growth by now.
Like you, my grandmother was tiny-4ft 11 I think. If dd stays on same centile I think her height is predicted to be similar.

It doesn't help if you think her length was misread before. But I suppose a drop in centiles may be a concern. But only a cm can be a massive jump up the chart under 12mths.

Out of interest-what size clothes is your dd wearing?

hotair Wed 26-Mar-14 20:15:28

it depends on the manufacturer, but mostly 18-24 months. Until quite recently she was happily in exclusively 12-18 month clothes. As my first DC was prem I didn't pay much attention to the age ranges because they were so far out with DC1, but they caught up very quickly really, certainly by 18 mnths and are now at 4yo on the 25th centile for height and weight. DC2 is 26 months and was born at term weighing a very normal 7lb 7.
In all honestly I wasn't worried really until now. I knew she was petite but just assumed that was how she was supposed to be. My grandma and cousin are 4ft 11, my mum 5ft and 1/4 (she's very attached to the 1/4!) and another cousin s only 4ft10.
I suppose I'm shocked that she's so petite and at how aghast the HV was. Her feet have gone up from 3.5 when she got her first pair of shoes at around 11 mnth to size 5 this week, so she clearly is growing still and that is about the right rate of foot growth, so I can only assume she's growing at the right rate in general. I'm a bit worried I'm being too blaze and that maybe there's some terrible underlying condition that could cause shortness! She is certainly much much shorter than her peers, but fiercely independent- something else she'd have in common with my mum and grandma!

PartyConfused Wed 26-Mar-14 21:34:54

grin her feet are massive compared to my dd1 how is now 4! She is only a size 7 now.

Honestly-she sounds like she is doing fine. When I got dd2 weighed last week the hv did the look between them and the nervous paper shuffling. I know it can make you feel shit.

Let them refer her if they are going to. But it sounds like she is just following her family history. She sounds perfect!

And if she is in 18-24 she doesn't sound that small! Dd2 is in 6-9mth (and tbf she is 9 mth corrected) and I would be delighted for her to be wearing the size your dd is at her age.

YoHoHoandabottleofWine Wed 26-Mar-14 21:48:49

Hi, I have a 0.4th centiler 2yo - he is now nearly 3 and still in 12-18m trousers (18-24m t-shirts). I think he will possibly be in age 2 clothes when he starts school in 18m time!

HV was very concerned at 2y check because neither DH nor I are short and DS1 aged 4 is very tall (91st centile), and because it appeared from red book that his height had fallen down the curve. Like you I thought the earlier measurements were wrong at the time (really hard to measure baby's length).

She was quite adamant that we HAVE to go to the GP. GP said 'um what do you want me to do, do you want me to refer you?'. So he referred us, and the paediatrician was lovely and not concerned as all in proportion. DH has some short family members (MIL and aunts) though they grew up in extreme poverty so can't be sure that is genetic. DH's bro is pretty short too.

Paediatrician will see us twice more, 6 months between each time, to check DS is growing, and at the last minute decided that he ought to have blook tests just to rule out a couple of very unlikely things (but i have yet to book that, oops).

Given you have several short family members in the extended family then I wouldn't worry if I was you.

On and my DS is very fierce as well, so I think he will hold his own in the playground!

MrsC1966 Wed 26-Mar-14 21:50:05

Don't get too stressed by this. My dd almost stopped growing which caused some concern with our private paediatrician. She had to grow by a certain amount not to get referred and she just managed it. She was the smallest in her class when she started school but continued to grow albeit slowly. She's about to turn 12 and is just under average height against her peers.

hotair Wed 26-Mar-14 22:01:53

She is still in 12-18 mth trousers and I can't see her growing out of them anytime soon- but as she insists on dressing herself in in skirts and dresses she's mostly wearing 18-24 mths.
You have all completely reassured me! If they refer I will go along, but I'm definitely not going to push for a referral, Thanks everyone.

MrsC1966 Wed 26-Mar-14 23:16:49

Lots of luck Hotair. My dd was in at least 1yr below her age group in clothes up to the age of 11. Often she was in 2 or 3 yrs below depending on the brand. When she was 10 she could still fit into age 5 clothes 'cos her waist was so tiny. If you saw her now you really would find that hard to believe!

naty1 Thu 27-Mar-14 10:35:55

Did they measure stood up?
As i read they will be shorter stood so if previous was lying down....
My 21m has just gone into size 5 shoes.

It looked like she would be tall at birth 75-91st at 1 pt down to 50% at a yr.
We are a similar height 5'4 and 6'1
My parents 5'7 and 5'10 his 5'6 and 5'10
But the grandmas are about 5' and 1 aunt 5'2.
Judging by our parents height we should have been 5'6 so we are both very short (mum smoked in pg)
A friends baby started out tall and then at a yr was about 25% (mum 4'11 and dad 6')

Any allergies in baby or family?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now