best sling for newborn...

(9 Posts)
bushprincess Wed 26-Mar-14 09:10:56

Hi all, does anyone have a good recommendation for a ring or pouch sling for a newborn? Due in 7 weeks and have a beco gemini which i think will be brill for proper walks etc, but I'd like something easy to slip on and off for around the house and ideally to breast feed in.... not overly keen on having to tie a wrap so good recommendations for 'no fuss' solutions would be great! Thanks in advance

isisisis Wed 26-Mar-14 09:28:27

Have you got a sling library near you? They'd have loads of specific advice & you could just hire one suitable for a newborn until baby's big enough for yours.
I'm currently using a hop tye or a girasol mysol (both are mei tai). I wouldn't of chosen either without the help of our local sling lady. I now find tying knots much quicker, easier & more secure than buckles/clips. Never thought I would.

LadyMedea Wed 26-Mar-14 21:13:38

Definitely get to a sling library but..... actually hands down for a newborn is a stretchy wrap. There are lots of brands I.e. Moby, Boba and unbranded from Victoria sling lady on eBay. They are basically a long length of stretchy fabric which you tie on. Takes a couple of goes to get the hang of it but very easy once you get going. If you can't cope with the idea of wrapping the close caboo is the same idea but takes away part of the need to wrap.

Basically they are an infinitely adjustable cuddle for your newborn. I'm still comfortably using mine at 4 months and plan to use it for a while yet. Switching to a semi structured carrier (ergo, manduca, connecta etc) when I want to back carry.

bushprincess Thu 27-Mar-14 08:47:00

Thanks both!

I'll only be in the UK for a few weeks either side of his arrival (currently live in Zim but going home for the birth) so although there is a sling library near by my parents I won't have very long to try them. But I the suggestions here are great - I'll see if I can try some of the wraps and slings and then order quickly before I leave again

(lots of baby wearing here but generally just a towel/big sheet wrapped around with baby in a back carry - I'm too nervous about not trying it right and baby falling out the bottom... plus I think there are lots of more 'beautiful' slings and wraps out there than my old bathrooom towels!!)

thanks for your replies

riskit4abiskit Thu 27-Mar-14 08:58:58

We loved our close caboo! It's like a crossover soft harnessy thing that you put baby in then pull tight with a another covering layer you then tie on. You can wear it different ways too.

my tip would be to go on a selling page like gumtree or on Facebook. Some people are obsessed and buy loads of different types and then sell them on hardly used!

SweetTeaVodka Thu 27-Mar-14 09:09:07

I second the Caboo as lovely for newborns - just like a stretchy wrap but I found it quicker and easier to put on in those early days. Strethy wraps (Moby, JPMBB, Hannah wrap, Boba wrap etc) are lively and great for popping baby in and out all day while leaving sling in situ.

Ring slings are lovely for newborns and last right up to toddler years when they are good for the quick up and down stage for walking toddlers whose legs tire or need hurrying.

Woven wraps are the most versatile and can be used from day one right through the toddler years so you can get your money's worth. Some are collectors items and do for astronomical prices but the more budget brands like Little Frog, Lenny Lamb and Ling Ling D'Amour are equally lovely. With a woven wrap there is the option for hip and back carries if you get more confident/adventurous.

Definitely worth going to a sling library or meet and having a play to see what you like. If you have any babywearing consultants nearby (usually they are involved with sling libraries) then an individual consultation might be beneficial.

Parietal Thu 27-Mar-14 09:09:58

Closer sling from John Lewis = lovely and soft and easy to use

atthestrokeoftwelve Thu 27-Mar-14 09:19:46

I liked a simple ring sling like the better baby sling, I used one with my babies. Great to breastfeed hands free, I could breastfeed even whilst hanging out laundry or walking around the supermarket. Can be worn in lots of defferent ways, on the hip or on the back with older babies.

bushprincess Thu 27-Mar-14 11:06:39

Brilliant - load of suggestions! atthe I'll look up the better baby sling - I'd really like to try breastfeeding in the sling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now