dd 3.5 preschool have raised concerns about her speech

(15 Posts)
TheArmadillo Tue 25-Mar-14 13:30:24

Dd is 3.5 has at preschool for 15 hours a week since September. She is dc2. She will be starting school in September.

Preschool have raised concerns about her speech, they are working on it with her and are putting in a referral for speech therapy.

They struggle to understand her much at all I think. Her speech is unclear, she doesn't always use sentances and if she doesn't know what word she wants she will fill it in with gibberish.

She will also replace words for stuff that she does know the words for e.g. she has renamed some of the colours with the things they remind her of
E.g. red is fire, yellow is cheese, blue is water, green is apple, black/navy/brown are dark (which is also the word she uses for night).

It's only in the past 6 weeks or so she has got the concept of the word "or". She can't get her head round "I don't want" - she uses "I don't like", e.g. she ate a huge amount of pasta the other night for tea but when asked if she'd liked it she insisted she "don't like pasta" and got upset when we suggested she did but didn't want anymore.

She doesn't seem to understand that people outside the immediate family have individual names. Her aunt and uncle she combines their names (think Tomkat kinda thing) and calls each of them that. She has recently learnt one of her teacher's names. She can't tell you a single name of the children at preschool believing that they are all called either boy or girl.

She learnt "the grand old duke of york" at preschool the other day - the only reason we could tell is we recognised the tune. Even when dh went through the words with her she couldn't pronounce any of them. Her speech is worse when she is singing anyway.

She is happy and confident child who never shuts up. Me and dh can understand about 50% of what she says. But having recently met a 2yo who could speak as well as dd was a bit eye opening.

Dc1 was at the slower end of normal for speech but never had problems.

Any opinions or advice? Getting a bit concerned with the start of school not that far away now.

TheArmadillo Tue 25-Mar-14 18:03:12

Bump

ZuleikaD Tue 25-Mar-14 20:03:57

Have you had her hearing checked at all?

TheGreatHunt Tue 25-Mar-14 20:06:54

Tongue tie?

Badmumof3 Tue 25-Mar-14 23:28:31

I'd definitely push for a hearing test before you do anything else. A lack of hearing can make a child behave unusually, for obvious reasons and will delay speech. My son was slow to talk and I had to keep pushing the health visitors. They'd say "well he's a boy" or "his sisters ate talking for him". Eventually he was diagnosed with bilateral glue ear, easily rectified with grommet insertion and his speech and language development just took off and he's not stopped since! If your dd doesn't have hearing problems them the speech therapist will be able to help with exercises.

hanbee Thu 27-Mar-14 11:00:57

I agree, this sounds like it might he hearing related. My sil was like this as a preschooler, grommits totally resolved her hearing. She's now a senior community nurse, so please don't panic just yet. However get it checked out whilst she's still unaware and little, as it might affect her confidence if she gets much older.

TheArmadillo Fri 28-Mar-14 19:48:02

Thanks. Hadn't thought about it being a hearing problem as she hasn't seemed to have any problems with that. Might see if we can contact the hv and see if we can get a hearing test that way.

Jellyandjam Fri 28-Mar-14 20:11:04

Hi. Yes I agree get her hearing checked out just to be sure.
As far as the unclear speech is concerned your post sounds very much like my DS at 3.5.
His understanding is good but speech was very unclear to all but immediate family and even we struggled a lot of the time.
We had his hearing checked and in our case there was no hearing issues but I was glad we had ruled it out.
It's great the preschool are on the ball about it and have got started with a referral.
My DS is now 5 and been having speech therapy on and off for a year (weekly since sept as we got a private therapist at this point) and his speech is so much clearer now. I understand almost 100% of what he says and others understand about 85-90%. He still as a bit of a way to go but wanted to reassure about the progress that can be made.

joanofarchitrave Fri 28-Mar-14 20:13:00

TBH most speech therapists will send the referral back unless he has had a hearing assessment, so I would ask for that now.

Jellyandjam Fri 28-Mar-14 21:55:47

They didn't here but I have heard that in many areas that is the case. More than one therapist told me that if I hadn't noticed a hearing problem then he more than likely didn't have one. I had to push to get it done (finally had it about 10 months after starting therapy).
I think it should be done first though as it could save a lot of time and resources in the long run. Your health visitor will be able to do it for you.

clabsyqueen Fri 28-Mar-14 22:54:00

Hi there armadillo, you asked for opinions and advice and as a educator (my job) I'd say you need to get your daughter assessed by a speech therapist for a possible language disorder.
Poor hearing would account for poor pronunciation (and thus poor intelligibility) but is much less less likely to be the reason for not grasping concepts such as 'or' and the word substitution you describe - apple for green. Hope you find some answers soon.

TheArmadillo Sun 30-Mar-14 13:50:13

Thanks for these. Dh is going to contact the HV tomorrow re getting her hearing checked out and preschool are working with her while waiting for the referral to go through.

Clabsyqueen - thanks, it is the word issues that worry me more than the pronunciation. I don't know what it indicates though.

Poppet45 Sun 30-Mar-14 14:23:57

I was thinking a language disorder rather than hearing too. Her difficulty with names and colours is more processing than hearing.

insancerre Sun 30-Mar-14 14:29:11

it does sound like a processing issue, although hearing is always the first thing to check
i am surprised the pre-school have left it so long before raising concerns, though, considering she goes to school in september
i am senco in a nursery and have referred children myself to the speech and language therapist and believe in early intervention
hopefully you wont have to wait too long for an appraisal with the salt

TheArmadillo Sun 30-Mar-14 14:45:06

12 weeks waiting list apparently. Which is why they wanted to get her on it straight away. Tbf to preschool dd can be less than cooperative when they are interacting with her and will often blank them and walk off. Especially if she is in a group at the time. She is better one to one. They did say they were having problems working out what she could do but wouldn't and what she can't do.

I had a look up of language processing disorders and some of it fits.

Things like she can't follow 2 step instructions, she often doesn't finish sentances, she can struggle with words she already knows. This morning I asked her to pass me my necklace and she passed me everything but and was confused when I said that wasn't it (and they were all things she knew). Then when I picked it up she was like "oh look your necklace mummy" (not pronounced like that). She sometimes struggles with 1 step instructions but other times she gets them first time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now