Are most 7 yr olds like this?

(12 Posts)
EkaS Thu 20-Mar-14 20:29:09

Two behaviours of my DD.

She seems to think mostly about herself, how everything affects her, how she looks in her clothes, checking herself out at mirrors regularly, the works. DW thinks she's too self-absorbed, I think it's normal for kids of that age.

Another area is forgetfulness, something gets left behind regularly, at school, at home, in the car. It can be anything, books, forks, toys, etc. The response to our questioning is "Oh, I forgot" or "I thought I put it in the bag". Again, I think this is par for children, DW doesn't.

Are most 7 yr olds like this?

Thanks

thinking101 Thu 20-Mar-14 20:32:23

I think so. My DS is like this (8) but not so much looks but self absorbed in his own ideas an thoughts which he just constantly monologues at you.

It is exhausting to remind him to do/bring xyz. It has got better recently but he has drove me nuts at times.

thinking101 Thu 20-Mar-14 20:34:04

..and yes I did think something was properly wrong and ended up at GP's in tears. Tell DW to speak to other parents she soon realise others are like it too.

HRHLadyG Thu 20-Mar-14 20:34:49

Yes......I think this phase lasts about 20 years! x

AmysTiara Thu 20-Mar-14 20:40:34

The forgetfulness seems totally normal. Not so sure about the looks. Mine have never been obsessed by mirrors and ive not heard family or friends mention this.

Timetoask Thu 20-Mar-14 20:43:10

I have a 7 yr old son and he isn't like this

TippiShagpile Thu 20-Mar-14 20:44:33

I have an 8 year old and a 9 year old, neither of them is like this. They are boys though.

Liara Thu 20-Mar-14 20:44:59

My 7yo isn't like this at all. But all dc are different, I know I was super forgetful at that age and still am

Bonkerz Thu 20-Mar-14 20:49:44

My dd was8 in dec and is like this. She is a nightmare. Constantly talks about random things all about her regardless of what's going on. She will talk over me too as if she thinks she is more important. She's very forgetful, needs telling three times before she gets done what's been asked. I have to remind her lots about the important stuff.
I truly hope this is a phase! At school she is a very clever girl, high achiever too which I think may cause some of the brattish pretentious behaviours.

thinking101 Thu 20-Mar-14 21:25:28

<clasps hands>

thank you Bonnkerz I was beginning to think I needed to head back to GP's for a minute. I think with my DS is stems from him being only for a while.

TheBuskersDog Thu 20-Mar-14 21:27:22

The forgetfulness is normal and a certain amount of egocentricity is normal in that how things affect/relate to them, but the vanity not so much.

Spaghettinetti Tue 25-Mar-14 19:05:41

I used to teach in a primary school and this sort of behaviour seems pretty normal to me. Most children up to the age of 10 or 11 (and even beyond that) can be, in my experience, quite forgetful. The self-awareness thing is also part of normal development. Gradually, your DH will become more aware of others and their feelings (this is why we teach PSHCE and try to encourage sharing and listening to others). I'd also say that it's natural for little girls to be 'a bit vain'....I remember myself and my friends brushing our hair and looking at ourselves in the mirrors in the toilets in primary school and see 7-11 year olds doing exactly the same nowadays...In my opinion, this is learned behaviour- they see girls and women behaving like this in real life/ on TV and copy...it's just one of those things...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now