3 year old humming nursery rhymes in the middle of night

(4 Posts)
TKKW Mon 17-Mar-14 10:25:59

My 2 year 11 month old is NOT a great sleeper. Down between 7.30 and 8.30, getting herself to sleep maybe 8.30-9pm and awake 7- 7.30m. Some days a nap a nursery for an hour and if we are at home over the weekend/ not out and about, an hour nap during the day.

We have had a real problem with her waking in the night maybe at 4 or 5am humming nursery rhymes for up to 1.5 hours until she gets herself back off to sleep again.

I get up for work at 6.50, so if the humming starts at 4am and goes on to 5.30 am, I am very tired and short tempered by the morning.

The volume increases (sometimes humming at at the top of her voice) as the time gets longer suggesting she has become more awake.

Its very disruptive to both DH and I. We are also worried about the neighbours who as yet haven't mentioned anything but Id be amazed if they were able to ignore it as its so loud and really noticeable when the rest of the house is quiet in the dead of the night.

We have a new baby who arrives in 7 weeks time and I dont think we could cope with a newborn and a toddler humming full volume.

We have both gone in to speak to her in the middle of the night about the noise being unacceptable when everyone is sleeping. Up pops the little head, so we think she is definitely awake or half dozing. It stops for about 5 mins, we think "yes.. great!" but then it starts and continues.

She has black out curtains and never feels too sweaty/cool when we go in to her room.

We haven't even got a spare room where we could take turns to escape the noise.

At wits end as we have had to deal cope with this for a year and a half now. Thought she'd have grown out of it by now. Feel that its really affecting my quality of sleep/ life... I know that sounds dramatic.

Can I do anything?

TKKW Mon 17-Mar-14 18:34:20

Has anyone else had singing in the middle of the night?

BrianTheMole Mon 17-Mar-14 18:39:11

Yes. My 6 year old still does it now. Its not funny, although I think she does it because she's feeling lonely. And it gets louder in an attempt to wake me up, so that she's not the only one awake. Apart from telling her to be quiet theres not much else I can do. Sorry not much help I know.

MiaowTheCat Mon 17-Mar-14 20:43:25

We went through a phase of 4am renditions of row row row your boat (skip a bit and get to the crocodile bit) at about 18 months complicated by her younger sister sharing a room with her sat in the cot applauding the entertainment services!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now