Trikes for toddlers - what age can they pedal?

(18 Posts)
toomuchtooold Sat 15-Mar-14 19:22:10

It's my twins' 2nd birthdays soon and I'd like to buy them trikes. They're both happy with sit and ride on type things but can't do pedals yet so I'm thinking to buy them something that has pedals but that you can also just push along with your feet. So, two questions:

- any recommendations for trikes like this?
- when did your LO learn to use pedals?

Thanks!

Guardianto2 Sat 15-Mar-14 20:04:56

No recommendations but my daughter was 3 before peddling “clicked” for her.

My twins are 17 months and we got them Smartrikes at 15 months. They love them. There are 4 different stages for different ages that you can adjust the trikes to. Mine don't pedal and we push them with the parent handle (had a seat belts and a safety body bar). I have no idea when toddler start to peddle though!

Chasdingle Sat 15-Mar-14 21:02:46

my DS (now 3.10) has never been able to pedal a trike. My mum recently got him a proper bike and i never thought he'd be able to pedal but he has managed the bike, man at bike shop said more kids struggle with trikes as its more of a forward action rather than straight down

odyssey2001 Sat 15-Mar-14 23:07:54

3.3 and not pedaling yet. Take them to Toys r Us and have a go on a few.

MiaowTheCat Sun 16-Mar-14 11:52:00

My about to turn 2 year old hasn't even mastered pushing along with her feet yet - she's got a cosy coupe car - loves it - but it's getting into it, closing the door, sitting there looking fabulous, getting out, pushing it along a bit and then repeating the process at the moment.

She's getting a big clunky scooter for her birthday - I think that might be an easier range of movement for her.

HappyAsASandboy Sun 16-Mar-14 13:31:03

I have twins. DS got on his trike at just 2 years old and pedalled off, whilst his sister took another 6 months to master it. She still isn't as competent, despite being taller and heavier.

If you get a trike where the pedals are forward (on the froth wheel) rather than under the seat (like on a bike), then there will be space to push along with feet smile I would advise getting one with a paren handle too.

toomuchtooold Sun 16-Mar-14 13:45:49

Thanks very much for your replies, folks smile. Isn't it funny that the twins all seem to be mad for things with wheels? With mine, I suspect it's because they like to be able to put some distance between them...

ZuleikaD Sun 16-Mar-14 16:33:05

Lord knows - we had three trikes and have now moved on to a bike and none of them have ever been able to pedal the trikes. I'd go straight to balance bikes - better for teaching them to ride!

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Sun 16-Mar-14 17:56:33

My ds was riding a pedal bike with no stabilisers at 22 months, so before then! He had a balance bike, and learnt to pedal on the trike at toddler group.

I second going straight to balance bikes for your twins smile

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Wed 19-Mar-14 19:44:53

Did you make a decision? smile

FadBook Wed 19-Mar-14 19:56:59

This thread is reassuring. I was mildly worried that dd should be peddling by now (2.6) but I need not. The logical part of me thought it takes a lot of muscle to pedal really.

She pushes herself along now but gets bored after 5 minutes and want us to push [yawn]

bakingtins Wed 19-Mar-14 20:03:50

I third the balance bikes suggestion. Trikes are just so cumbersome. Ds2 has been a whizz on a balance bike from just after 2nd birthday, just waiting for him to be tall enough for the smallest Islabike handed down from his cousin.

Jaffakake Wed 19-Mar-14 21:07:31

We got my ds a Little Tikes plastic trike you push along with your feet. He loves it & uses it both inside & at the park.

Jaffakake Wed 19-Mar-14 21:08:19

He's 2yrs 6 months & I'm only just about thinking we should get a scooter.

Fuzzymum1 Wed 19-Mar-14 21:20:05

DS3 was about 2.5 - he sat on a trike at toddle group and put one foot on a pedal, pushed with the other foot and then watched what the foot on the pedal did - he swapped feet and did the same again - eventually he managed it - and then did it obsessively for weeks!

Another vote for balance bikes, if you can get them small enough. We had a toddler trike with pedals on the front wheel and neither of them ever pedalled it. I think it would take even more muscle than having pedals in the proper place, where you get more gravity assist.

We had the Ridgeback balance bike.

MeanwhileHighAboveTheField Thu 20-Mar-14 19:07:12

Great thread on the go about balance bikes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now