12 week old trying to walk - product advice

(108 Posts)
Insomnimummy Mon 10-Mar-14 11:37:45

My DD is almost 12 weeks old and has been demanding to be held upright so she can walk with our support. She has been doing this for the last 4/5 weeks and now cries if we do not help her.

I'm very proud of how fast she is developing, but its exhausting and painful spending most of the day hunched over someone whos under 2ft, helping them walk!
I have been seraching for products to help my DD develop her muscles and practise walking, such as door bouncers and walkers. However I can't find any that are suitable for a 3 month old, they all appear to start at 6 months.
Does anyone know if and where I can get a baby walker for a 3month old? At this rate by the time she reaches 6 months she will no longer need one!

Purplelooby Wed 26-Mar-14 09:25:28

I don't think the issue here is crawling (the red book does list crawling, but it has it along with bum shuffling as an and/or), it's about core strength. Babies can have very strong legs but if their core strength isn't up to it they won't walk.

OP HAS been a bit flamed and I feel for her, but reading back over all the replies, I think really people are just trying to answer the original question: how can I help her walk - work on her core strength.

Sneezecakesmum Tue 25-Mar-14 20:52:12

I wonder why that august body the CDC along with almost every official list says crawling is a milestone. Not that all babies crawl (most do) just like they don't all roll.

Nevertheless it is desirable if the baby is that way inclined because of the activation of the muscle groups needed for walking. It also encourages weight through the open hand which is a precursor to using pens and writing well.

Having read up on all this extensively, I don't really know anything of course.

BertieBotts Tue 25-Mar-14 15:35:16

I know a fair few people my age with dyspraxia and we were all put on our fronts to sleep, it's supposed to have been the back to sleep thing which lead to the need for tummy time smile

I must admit although I understand sleeping on the back is safer there is just something about a gorgeous sleepy baby all curled up on their front. I was happy when DS learnt to roll and I didn't have to put him on his back any more! I find it far cosier and more comfortable personally too. <80s baby>

thornrose Tue 25-Mar-14 15:28:36

Thanks Bertie I know it's not the cause but I often wondered if it might've been less severe if we'd done the tummy thing.

She's 14 now anyway and most of her friends are going through a phase of hating PE too wink

BertieBotts Tue 25-Mar-14 15:21:02

Thorn please don't worry, dyspraxia isn't caused by lack of tummy time, it's a "mis-wiring" in the brain that just happens sometimes rather than being caused by anything.

Funnily my DS who liked to kick up and push at things with his feet from birth is now 5 and fairly un-coordinated too. He can ride a scooter and runs around constantly but isn't really interested in sports. (Neither me or DH are though which is probably more why!)

FreakoidOrganisoid Tue 25-Mar-14 14:30:26

DD was a stander too, from weeks old. She would scream if you tried to sit or lie her down, but stood up, looking around at the world she was happy. She'd push herself up with her legs if you tried to sit her, my mum had her on her lap at a picnic table, aged 6 weeks, and dd took hold of the edge of the table and pulled herself to standing. It was exhausting. DD was able to lift her head and look around the room from birth too (when on her tummy), she was just strong. Friends at baby groups were jealous that dd was "advanced" I was jealous that their babies would lie there gurgling and cooing.

There is an average rate of development that the milestones are based on, some children develop more slowly, some more quickly. If anything dd is a bit behind physically now she's 7 though so it doesn't necessarily mean anything long term.

thornrose Tue 25-Mar-14 14:13:17

Great cross post duchesse and makes me feel better in a funny way smile

Wow, leave off the OP! I believe her chipd can support it's own weight...because my ds coild at that age. However, we never helped him walk by holding his hands and walking him round but did keep him uprightost of the time. We didn't have much choice as he'd scream any other way! Woild hold him on our lap and let him take his weight with us keeping him balanced...

He stood unaided at 5 months and walked unaided at 6.5 months.

Like I said we didn't help him to walk around and in fact we also went to the physio because I was actually worried about how quickly he was progressing. Physio said no problem let hum progress at his own rate.

OP if you are tired of holding dc so much and helping try letting her stand holding sofa with you there? We also had a door bouncer so we xoild get some peace but dont think we used it till about 4 months. You know your baby and whether they have enough control of their head to do this.

Also, ds used to push a trolley round once he coild stand on his own...could you use one of them? I do think it's important for them to do most of the work on their own and as mu ds proves if they are ready to they will...hth

thornrose Tue 25-Mar-14 14:11:44

I wish I'd know more about the importance of "tummy time" (bit cringy sounding!)

My dd hated being on her front and never crawled. I was reassured by HCPs and family that lots of babies never crawl and I was a bum shuffler according to mum.

DD has quite severe dyspraxia (amongst other things) and I still feel regret that I didn't encourage her more and wonder if it would've changed things. sad

duchesse Tue 25-Mar-14 14:11:16

DS never crawled despite hours spent trying to teach him. He never spent much time on his tummy because he would scream until he was blue if I did. He couldn't really roll over until he was 5 months. He was sitting unreliably at 6 months, still requiring a cushion behind. It wasn't ideal, but it was what it was.

He is now 20 and exceptionally strong. He climbs and can walk 50 miles without breaking a sweat. Always had above average body strength- people used to think he worked out when he was in his teens.

It happens.

duchesse Tue 25-Mar-14 14:07:49

And to the naysayers- there is a range of normal development and inevitably some children will fall either side of it.

Physically my DS was the size of a 6 mo at 3 mo, and had the developmental skills of a child much older virtually from birth. I didn't realise that it was unusual until my next three children were born.

duchesse Tue 25-Mar-14 14:04:49

DS was like your DD, and he loved the doorway bouncer from 3 m.

Babies do not get "bowed legs" from walking young, they get bowed legs from rickets as they always did, even in the 19th century where that pearl of wisdom comes from. Fortunately very few have rickets these days (although it is making a comeback!).

DS was in a walker at 5 m because he was just happy when he could walk around. Walking around holding one hand at 6 months, walked independently on the dot of 10 m. Nothing really could have stopped him. The alternative was to have him screaming all day every day.

juule Tue 25-Mar-14 13:54:03

CecilyP
'I am not supporting her weight when we do this - she is'

Only one way to find out if that is true and that is to let go, but I wouldn't recommend trying it as you already know what the answer is. It is natural to think your baby is special but no baby is so exceptional that they stand or walk at 3 months. "

I don't know why the op is being doubted when she says her dd can support her own weight when standing. Her dd could be supporting her own weight but still fall over if let go as she hasn't developed a full sense of balance yet.
I have a photo somewhere of one of mine at 3 months, standing up holding onto the seat part of a chair. She didn't attempt to move forwards and couldn't get back down but she was holding on and supporting her own weight standing.

BrianTheMole Tue 25-Mar-14 13:53:18

hmm grin

BertieBotts Tue 25-Mar-14 13:42:39

You won't find it in your red book and it isn't asked about by HCPs.

BertieBotts Tue 25-Mar-14 13:40:16

Why is everyone so defensive? I don't like baby walkers, I already said.

Crawling is not a developmental stage. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing or should be avoided, it just means it's not a good marker of development because some babies never do it.

If you don't get that then you're not understanding what a developmental stage is.

sanam2010 Tue 25-Mar-14 13:39:26

The best you can do is buy a yoga mat and let her do lots of tummy time. And apart from that just hold her and let her push herself up. My dd2 was like that - I just did lots of tummy time and would hold her in my arms where she always tried to get up. She crawled at 5 months and walked at 7 1/2 months. But tummy time is best so she builds up all the muscles needed for crawling / sitting / walking. I would stay clear of any other products.

Sneezecakesmum Tue 25-Mar-14 13:28:29

Errr. ...... Crawling is a developmental stage.

Just because all babies don't do it (most do) doesn't mean it should be made unattainable by sticking a baby into a walker!

Purplelooby Tue 25-Mar-14 12:23:41

You mean WHICH lentil weaver sigh. Slight over reaction - it was created because primary school age children who slept on their backs as babies didn't develop physical skills as well as the previous generation of tummy sleepers. Solution: get them to spend a bit of time each day on their tummy. HTH.

LittleBearPad Tue 25-Mar-14 07:36:32

Tummy time is putting a baby on their front. Nothing more complicated but necessary these days because babies are put to sleep on their backs because of SIDS.

It isn't lentil weavery and is advised by medical professionals.

HandsOffMyGazBaz Tue 25-Mar-14 01:01:35

What in th blue fuck is tummy time. What lentil weaver invented that shit?

TheFantasticFixit Tue 25-Mar-14 00:49:07

Goodness OP, your day sounds bloody exhausting with all the activities you have planned.

I think I did very little with my DD at 12 weeks other than a bit of 'tummy time' whilst I drank ANOTHER coffee to get through the morning..blush

kilmuir Tue 25-Mar-14 00:33:44

Not sure how a 12 week old demands to be 'walked'. You are the adult!

BertieBotts Tue 25-Mar-14 00:20:34

I don't see how babies developing would be frowned upon confused Crawling isn't a developmental stage anyway, many babies never crawl.

BertieBotts Tue 25-Mar-14 00:19:39

Oh I see! Yes sorry. I've definitely heard it about walkers, also jumperoos, front pack slings, and door bouncers. I really don't think that holding them up to let them kick against the floor is the same thing though. It's about them being dangled by the crotch and the legs hanging. You can reduce the risk by limiting time spent in those kinds of toys (I don't like walkers anyway, too dangerous to give them more motion/speed than they can actually handle)

Toe walking is an issue with walkers if their legs are too short to reach the floor with flat feet, because it encourages them to walk in the tip toe position. It's thought that this may be an issue with bouncers and jumperoos but not certain - advice again is to make sure they can reach the floor with flat feet rather than just with tiptoes.

My personal view (am not a physio) is that walkers are probably more harmful as they're offering something unnatural, because the body's weight is being held up and the momentum is being done by legs which aren't actually strong enough to walk and hold up weight. This is totally different to actually walking which they will do later because that is more about weight bearing - if you tried to walk by pushing along at the floor with your feet you'd fall over, what we actually do is balance on one leg and then transfer our body weight to be centred on the other before moving the first leg, and repeat so quickly we never think about it.

However, door bouncers and jumperoos are only offering the kind of thing that babies/parents do naturally with minimal support, being held roughly in one place while they kick against a firm surface. They're still problematic for hips because they hold the legs in a position which is unnatural later on but I think they can have good points as well, unlike walkers which the only good point seems to be "the baby has fun and it looks cute".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now