Concerned abut dd's increasing tics

(19 Posts)
whyyougottabe Fri 07-Mar-14 10:37:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whyyougottabe Fri 07-Mar-14 10:57:33

saulaboutme Fri 07-Mar-14 11:23:14

I think yes "behaviour and development" is a good place to post in.

It's good you're going to your gp for advice. My ds displays little tics which I'm a little concerned about. I hope the gp can refer you in the right direction.

I'm keeping an eye on my ds.

whyyougottabe Fri 07-Mar-14 11:31:42

saulaboutme Fri 07-Mar-14 11:57:58

Yes it is. He does head rocking and makes squawking noises for example. At present he is having 1to1 at school and help with fine motor skills which is great.

Definitely the gp is the first port of call and make sure they take you seriously. As ds us getting older I watch when he does his tics. Sometimes when it is too quiet or he is bored so could be a fidgety thing. Of it gets extreme I know I'll need to seek advice on how to help him deal with it.
Good luck, I hope they help and update of you can. I will.

saulaboutme Fri 07-Mar-14 11:59:22

Sorry rubbish phone...

babypup Sun 16-Mar-14 10:11:03

Hi,

Just wanted to say I can relate. My son who turns 5 in April started developing tics right after his 4th birthday, so almost a year ago now. It started with blinking, which lasted 3 months then vanished. 3 months of 'quiet' then into constantly pulling up his socks. Then by November it was back to blinking again which has been on and off and still happening. About a week ago he has also started a sniffing/blowing type of tic. I always know something is a tic, because turning on the TV is like his trigger for these behaviours. I am worried sick, as we now have motor and vocal and are approaching a full year of this. I can't help but feel this is not going to be transient now and we are looking at something much more long-term. I can't help, but want you to know your not alone. If you ever want to pm me feel free xx

Hi there. I posted about my DD a little while ago, showing exactly the same symptoms. I knew what I thought it could be and the kind people who replied thought the same and it just made me frightened!
In the end, I spoke to DD about it. I told her how worried we were, asked her if she was aware of it and did she want me to take her to the GP.
She said she was aware of it, but wanted a couple of weeks before seeing the doctor to see if it stopped. Her friends had become aware of her head nodding and blinking and she was a bit embarrassed.
In the end, they all fizzled out after a couple of weeks and we never did get to the doctors.
FWIW, I work as a TA and see lots of children having alsorts of different tics at various times whilst they're at primary school. Most of them have gone by the time they leave us.
I hope you get your DD sorted.

MmeMorrible Sun 16-Mar-14 10:58:19

My DS (6) also goes through phases of having tics. The first was excessive blinking which lasted a few weeks. We then had a long period of calm, then repeated habitual sniffing. Another calm period then a sort of half cough/half grunt. Again a period of calm and now he has started licking his fingers, touching his mouth a lot and often putting his chin onto his chest and licking his shirt.

I did ask the GP when it first started and was told not to worry and that the best thing to do was to ignore it completely. This has worked up to now but I find it hard not to tell him not to lick his fingers/clothes.

He is a deep thinker and a bit of a maths whiz. School tell me he is exceptionally bright and I think these little habits are a way of managing his overactive mind.

I do worry about it though. It's good to know that others are experiencing similar bouts of tic behaviours.

All of my children have had transient tics at some point. The most common ones were throat clearing and excessive blinking. Anxiety made them worse. They all went away by themselves.

babypup Mon 17-Mar-14 12:07:17

Can I ask the Mum's who have been dealing with tics for a few years...did your children go straight into one habit from another, or was there always long pauses in between tics? I ask because my son seems to drop one just as he is picking up a new one, it seems constant for the past year now and is really stressful x

DS1 and DD went from one tic to another without a break. DS3 and DS2's tics were more intermittent. In our family they seem to peak in junior school (age 7-11).

If a tic goes on for more than three months, or if you are otherwise concerned, then it might be worth mentioning to the GP.

babypup Mon 17-Mar-14 14:56:55

Thanks ThreeBeeOneGee, that's really useful. Did any of your kids have both motor and vocal tics combined. This worries me with my son. Up until now then were just motor, now we have the sniffing! It's such a worry sometimes sad

ShadowOfTheDay Mon 17-Mar-14 15:02:07

After all has been cleared by the doc it may be worth having a placebo that "should help....... x/y/z"

my dd had a blink/wink/scrunch eyelid tic which we had checked out "stress" was the diagnosis, so when she takes her hayfever medication it also gets rid of the tic - just because we said it should....

Mine have only ever had one tic at a time, most are motor tics (shrugging, blinking, etc) and the others are throat-clearing or humming.

Gunznroses Wed 19-Mar-14 09:25:27

Those of you who have dc with tics do you have other family members with the same condition also people who have tics or Tourettes what it the outcome for their own children, would it be more severe?

No one in our family has Tourette's. I had transient tics as a child, but grew out of them, as my DCs seem to be doing. DS1 suffers from mild anxiety, but since he reached adolescence it no longer comes out as tics.

babypup Wed 19-Mar-14 16:10:33

Nobody in our family has tourettes either. At the moment my son only has a few tics, but as he is young (only 4) I have no idea how/if it will progress further at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now