Waste of time

(8 Posts)
Taler Fri 07-Mar-14 08:25:10

I can spend sometimes half an hour or more settling my DD for a nap and she'll maybe only sleep for 20/30 minutes.

I find it infuriating as she is so obviously tired but fights it! She'll shown sign of being wide-eyed and awake which totally throws me!!! Then if she does finally fall asleep she'll wake up 20/30 minutes later.

My DH says I should only try for a short while and if she clearly won't sleep don't bother! Take her out, put he on her play may or bouncy chair and leave her.

I sort of agree as it is an utter waste of time but then why show all the tired signs beforehand?????

lollipoppi Fri 07-Mar-14 08:57:27

How old is your DD?

Taler Fri 07-Mar-14 19:22:11

17 weeks

Honestly don't worry about it too much. She's still tiny. Pop her in the pram and go for a walk maybe? I used to have to do this with DS. It will get better!

sleepis4rwimps Fri 07-Mar-14 19:38:37

have you tried putting her down for nap as soon as tired signs begin? DS2 is 19wks and only stays awake 1.5hrs between naps. If we miss his "nap window" when he starts showing signs of tiredness its a nightmare to get him to sleep. He has been ill recently and sometimes only did an hour of wakefulness between naps! x

curiousuze Fri 07-Mar-14 19:43:34

Does pram shoogling work?

Taler Fri 07-Mar-14 23:16:34

I always act on the tired cues as soon as I see them. My brother told me about the 3 yawn rule and OMG is it true! Go beyond 3 yawns and enter Tiredsville at your peril! ;)

She will sleep in her pram when we're out walking but not at home.

ZuleikaD Sat 08-Mar-14 08:03:26

It's perfectly normal at this age - to be honest I wouldn't wait for signs, a rhythm of 90 minutes awake, 30-40 minutes asleep is normal for this age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now