Baby acne

(15 Posts)
Doodle1983 Fri 07-Mar-14 02:10:56

Had anyone any experience with baby acne ? My DS 5 weeks old had spots on his cheeks. Is there anything I can put on them to clear up or do I just have to let it run it's course ? Tia x

bubblegoose Fri 07-Mar-14 02:17:12

It's normal. Don't break out the Clearasil!

Dirtymistress Fri 07-Mar-14 02:18:16

It's not acnegrin they are milk spots. It's just part of adjusting to life on the outside. They don't last long.

Doodle1983 Fri 07-Mar-14 02:41:53

I thought I'd read online (dr google) that it was called acne.. lol either way with that and his hair falling out he looks a right shit haha

KarmaBiatch Fri 07-Mar-14 02:42:29

We went from gorgeous milky smooth skin to baby acne almost overnight. It clears up without any specific treatment or ointment, it might take a few weeks, but it does go smile

I used to put a very very thin layer of sudocrem on her overnight, and it didn't make it any worse, but I don't think it cleared it. it's just all the hormones post-birth working their way out of the system xx

bubblegoose Fri 07-Mar-14 02:43:13

It's because of the hormones they get from your body. It's called milia or something like that.

I'm sure he's lovely!

ditsydoll Fri 07-Mar-14 07:09:38

I know what your baby has got op and it's not the little millia or milk spots. Ds had it from birth and doctors did Give it a specific name (tha I can't remember) but it is more commonly called baby acne.
There's no treatment, it's harmless and it did run it's course for ds in about a month or two but even as a 9 month old he has very sensitive skin.

Willyoulistentome Fri 07-Mar-14 07:28:46

When I read your thread title, I knew you were going to say your baby was 5 weeks old. Both mine and loads of other babies I have known got them at 5 weeks. It's the hormones as others have said. They go away very soon. Don't worry, and leave well alone.

Doodle1983 Fri 07-Mar-14 08:32:27

I thought milk spots were something different - thanks ditsydoll
I should of some the obligatory visit into work before now.. Haha I've just spent a couple of mins exfoliating his head with the baby brush to feet rid of some dry skin lol

Echocave Fri 07-Mar-14 10:43:54

I'd just leave it. It will go on its own. Wipe the face with cool booked water every day to wash it. But you don't need anything else. Dd had a mixture of dry skin and spots for about 2 weeks and it just went on its own.

Mrsmummypenny Fri 07-Mar-14 21:15:30

Congratulations on your lovely baby. Yep, the spots appear just in time for all the visitors grin. Think they took about 2-3 weeks to clear up here.

Hotmad Sat 08-Mar-14 22:05:20

My DD had that too at around that age also then had cradle
Cap, the acne did go after couple of weeks and now 14 weeks and lovely skin again.i think I used a light layer of Vaseline so the skin didn't dry out

Jaffakake Sat 08-Mar-14 22:25:58

Yep, just leave it be. My ds had them.

NotNoah Wed 26-Mar-14 12:39:50

Agree with what's been said. My DS suddenly developed this at about 5 weeks. It was all over his cheeks and chin. If never heard of it before and none of my friends' babies had it. Our Doctor called it baby acne. It did clear up after a few weeks (thought felt much longer). I just used cooled boiled water to clean his face gently. He also developed cradle cap too. That took longer to shift.

bonzo77 Wed 26-Mar-14 12:45:23

Both mine had it. I used to rub it with a bit of aqueous cream and a muslin in the bath then mix sudocreme with baby lotion and rub it in. Not sure if it worked or if it would have cleared up anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now