9mnth 'closing' over book?

(11 Posts)
thewebbleyjess Wed 05-Mar-14 20:23:32

We read books every night as part of pre-bedtime routine. Sometimes DD pushes the front pages over so the book closes. Any thoughts on whether she means to close the book or is getting involved and enjoying it?

kimlo Wed 05-Mar-14 20:28:17

thats normal at that age. I would just try giving her her own book to play with while you read another one.

DomesticGoddess31 Wed 05-Mar-14 20:46:54

Have you tried teaching her to turn the pages the right direction? My DH taught our DD at about that age and she devoured books after that. She'd bring me book after book to read to her. Think she loved that she felt a bit like had some control iyswim?

mrscog Wed 05-Mar-14 20:51:09

DS is 2 and it's only really been the past few months that he's engaged with books despite my attempts. In my experience you'll get people on mn telling you their 12mo will sit and listen to Julia Donaldson all the way through but I think these are the exception rather than normal. Keep showing her books and she'll get it eventually.

UnicornCrisps Wed 05-Mar-14 20:52:14

My 9 month old doesthe same, and turns the pages. They're just having an explore .

Ds is older but we read touchy feely books before bed still and other interactive ones

Frusso Wed 05-Mar-14 20:59:00

My 9mo would happily eat the book.

mrsspagbol Wed 05-Mar-14 21:13:07

Same here Frusso with my 7 month old :-)

Frusso Wed 05-Mar-14 21:23:27

Mrsspagbol our stories are a bit "one sunny day postman pat was slobbered on by ds, he tasted very funny, 'agu' you say ds? That's jess, no you can't eat jess, oh you're going to anyway."

mrsspagbol Thu 06-Mar-14 19:12:20

grin

ColdTeaAgain Fri 07-Mar-14 14:53:59

Ditto Frusso grin

Think you LO has just discovered they can turn pages/open and shut a book. Plus they always want to have what you are holding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now