Talk to me about teething poo <gag>

(9 Posts)
NoisyBrain Wed 05-Mar-14 19:56:55

My DS (PFB) is 6 months and right in the midst of teething. His first tooth has broken through and I think the one next to it is following close behind.

He's showing pretty much all of the usual symptoms except red cheeks, but the one he seems to be suffering most with is excess saliva and as a result, excess mucous. I know 'they' say there's no proof teething causes this but I'm pretty sure most mums (including the doctor I saw) would beg to differ, right?

The main issue with the excess mucous is it's coming out in his nappies and boy, are we getting a lot of those! Today was good in that (so far) we've 'only' had 6. It's been as many as 9 or 10 some days over the last week or so. They start off relatively normal looking and smelling and get more mucousy as the day goes on. The last couple of the day are just small amounts of green, foul-smelling sludge. We have to whip the nappy off him as soon as we hear him go, because one of these horrible poos gave him awful nappy rash last week. I was getting so concerned about his dire rear I took him to the doctor on Friday who said it was possible he'd had a slight bug, but that teething was also the likely culprit. She checked him over and said he seemed fine, just to keep him fed and hydrated.

I suppose I'm looking for reassurance from anyone whose LO went through a similar phase while cutting their first teeth. How long can I expect it to last? We're keeping Pampers in business at the moment!

TheGreatHunt Wed 05-Mar-14 20:03:48

When did you start solids? because it could be that. My two had sloppy teething poo but not mucuos ones.

InCiderMind Wed 05-Mar-14 20:07:10

Laughing at 'dire rear', but yeah that sounds similar to what happened with my lo. Clears up after a few days iirc

GingerRodgers Wed 05-Mar-14 20:10:07

Op I found teething powders really improved the upset tummy teething can cause.

NoisyBrain Wed 05-Mar-14 20:14:49

Sorry, I forgot to mention that he's been on solids for about 3 weeks, but the mucous issue became noticeable about 10 days ago. Would solids do this to him? Presumably his system would eventually adjust?

InCider it's been well over a week now sad

TheGreatHunt Wed 05-Mar-14 20:23:08

Mucuos could be a sign of a cold eg they're swallowing the snot or a reaction to something like dairy or gluten. Just keep an eye on it.

NoisyBrain Wed 05-Mar-14 20:53:04

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had to go and have dinner earlier so my response was a bit short.

I wondered about a reaction to something and I asked the doctor about gluten as I only realised last week that the baby porridge we'd been giving DS contains it. She was skeptical about it as a cause but said I could try not giving the porridge to him for a few days to see what happens. It didn't make a difference, but we've moved on to a gluten-free one now.

As for dairy, he's mainly BF but has had one bottle of formula a day since he was about 12 weeks old. The doctor seemed to think any dairy intolerance would have shown up by now.

I suppose if it's teething then things should calm down when this other tooth finally comes through? I just hope it's soon! I'm not happy to let this poo situation go on for much longer without another trip to the doctor.

TheABC Fri 07-Mar-14 16:32:36

DS has cut his first two teeth and the nappies were dreadful. Backside looked like raw steak. :-( We used teething powder and freezer teething rings for the pain and xxx for the nappy rash. Worked a treat. DS also breastfed a lot more - partly for comfort and partly because he went off his food. We started boosting the nappies to cope with the volume (we cloth nappy), but obviously they had to be whipped off for a poo.

Hang in there. Although the nappies don't get much better when they are fully on solids (gags).

TheABC Fri 07-Mar-14 16:33:46

Conotrane for nappy rash. Keyboard fail. (Blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now