Anyone else find dummy's a pain in the arse? Or just me?

(18 Posts)
jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Tue 04-Mar-14 21:06:13

DS is 5months and the dummy was great at the beginning to settle him he'd happily suck a few times fall asleep then it'd fall out of his mouth.

Now it's a different story, when he's settling to sleep with the dummy he'll rub his eyes and knock it out, cry for it back, or he'll take it out of his mouth wave it around shout at it, chew the plastic rim, then drop it, cry for it back! Overnight we've to put it back in for him a lot = very little sleep sad

Are all babies like this with dummy's? Should I just go cold turkey, take it off him? Or will he eventually cop on to keeping it in his mouth or learn how to put it in himself?

BitsinTatters Tue 04-Mar-14 21:08:04

We tie ours onto a muslin

stargirl1701 Tue 04-Mar-14 21:09:01

We tied DD's to a muslin at 6 months and then ditched the dummy a month later. She still sleeps with the muslin at 18 months.

UnicornCrisps Tue 04-Mar-14 21:09:39

He will learn to pick it up quite soon, leave a few scattered around him in his cot. My 9 month old has been holding hers herself for a few months and it is so much easier!

curiousuze Tue 04-Mar-14 21:12:03

I would maybe take the opportunity to ditch it.

andadietcoke Tue 04-Mar-14 21:13:54

We have 'nighttime' dummies - mam ones that don't have a loop on. They don't pull them out like they did the other ones and when they throw their heads from side to side they don't knock them out in the same way.

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Tue 04-Mar-14 21:19:12

Had thought about one of those sleepy tot things that you can attach 4 to, but i don't think he would put it in himself. He hasn't got that magic ability to self settle yet, so he wakes after every sleep cycle if I can catch it happening and replace the dummy he settles easily. But honestly it's exhausting hence I find the thing a real pain in the arse at the moment and have great desires to chuck them all in the bin!

Then again if I get rid I've lost my only means of getting him to sleep easily........

MamaPingu Tue 04-Mar-14 21:21:13

Made me giggle, the pulling out the dummy shouting at it and then crying for it back I can definitely relate to grin

Fortunately DS only does it in the day time!

The dummy's without handles sound like a good idea!

Beanymonster Tue 04-Mar-14 21:21:52

We got rid of our dds dummy (she only ever had it in bed) at 1yeaf, she was unsettled for maybe 2 weeks, and they were pretty rough.. But a few months on my life is wonderful! No midnight/1am/2am/3am.. you get the idea dummy hunt!

WeeClype Tue 04-Mar-14 21:26:21

My 2 year old is obsessed with his hmm, he has one in his mouth and holds one when he goes to bed. Everytime I decide that he's going cold turkey during the day he always finds one.

My 3 month old never liked the dummy when I 1st tried it so I don't think she'll get one now.

elliebe13 Tue 04-Mar-14 21:28:11

Yep so we ditched it. He got more upset over it falling out than if he never had it at all. He uses breast or chews his hand now.

GingerDoodle Tue 04-Mar-14 21:33:14

My DD has about 8 (I kid you not) in her cot. I try to limit dummy use to cot and buggy / travelling and am quite strict about it.

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Wed 05-Mar-14 08:11:19

andadietcoke I like the MAM dummy suggestion however he sometimes takes it out by the rim not the handle, but it's worth a try maybe.......

I fear we will end up ditching it and doing a bit of sleep training but too much going on at the mo will wait a week or so.

I have nothing against dummy's I just ended up with a baby where it's more a hinderence than a help. Maybe a blessing in disguise though coz it has to go at some time so maybe the earlier the easier? My SIL having a lot of issues with my 3 yr old niece and convincing her to part with hers.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Wed 05-Mar-14 08:55:34

LittleElf used to turn over so far and use the mattress to knock it out, cry for it then repeat the cycle for an hour. She grew out of that phase though.

Now at almost 16 months she pulls it out and throws it out the cot or down the side of it.

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Wed 05-Mar-14 09:41:07

Well we have a new skill, he's been trying to master raspberry blowing for a while now, he's finally got it. So it's raspberrying morning noon and night! But what is great is when you blow raspberries with a dummy in your mouth, the dummy flies out and it's hilarious, FFS.

So dummy will be going soon! He settled for his morning nap without it, yay! Might just tackle naps first grin

Athrawes Thu 06-Mar-14 09:31:08

Dummy on a wooden bead chain thingy safety pinned to the mattress. One on either side of DS head area. Too far apart to be able to get tangled but always accessible to him.
At 3.7 he has just stopped. Went to bed one night telling me he didn't need them anymore and has not used them in 3 weeks.

dellabob Fri 07-Mar-14 16:11:12

Get rid now!!
Same thing for us. Was a miracle at 6 weeks helping our dd get some much needed sleep. At 6 months it became our worse enemy!! We got to a point where we were in and out every 15 mins ALL night for a week. Broke us.
I bought sleepy tot, didn't work.
One day I said enough and went cold turkey. Cried/ whined for 15 mins with me going in and quick stroke of forehead then she slept....and slept. Next day naps without dummy, a couple mins whining and then nothing. It's been 3 weeks and the best thing I ever did.

Good luck

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Fri 07-Mar-14 20:52:41

dellabob I think I will get rid but tackle it in a couple of weeks, for a number of reasons. I got a couple of MAM ones and turns out he now prefers them and is refusing his old avent ones grin But I only bought 2 MAM ones and don't intend on buying a whole lot more. So we will definitely be going cold turkey before the month is out. I thought DH was nuts when he said he was refusing the avent ones but he was right really made me laugh, the wee bugger!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now