My four year old has never eaten fruit...

(10 Posts)
Annakin31 Sun 16-Feb-14 09:46:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Frusso Sun 16-Feb-14 09:54:01

She eats veg? Does she eat raw carrots? Nursery should accept a carrot, or tomatoes in place of an apple.

lljkk Sun 16-Feb-14 10:05:47

DS6yo is a fruit avoider, impressive, really. It's not ideal, but I've known kids with much worse diets so we just soldier on.
We've tried rewards, like a single sweet if he'll have a bite of banana. Has therefore managed a few bites but nothing ongoing.

DS9yo is a fruit freak & will get into fisticuffs with his sister over fruit, DS6 enjoys handing fruit to them mid-battle, no interest in what they're rowing over. Luckily we don't have lunchbox police to deal with. I pack what he'll eat but I am strict about sugary food, so it's pretty plain fodder (butter or ham sandwiches).

sleepyhead Sun 16-Feb-14 10:26:53

There's nothing that amazing about fruit tbh. I suspect (some) children probably eat a bit too much of it (ds1 hmm) nowadays.

The guidelines are 5 portions of fruit and veg, but fruit tends to be more palatable to children because it's sweet.

Being picky, tomatoes and cucumbers are fruit anyway.

If dc is willing to eat veg as snacks instead (pepper, cucumber or carrot sticks, cauliflower florets, cherry tomatoes for example?) I'd just send that. The nursery should be fine with it.

Annakin31 Sun 16-Feb-14 12:30:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mine will eat cold broccoli in a packed lunch, so maybe I'm not much help, but other veg ideas I use:

Frozen edamame beans. Boil 3 mins, cool, and add a drop of soya sauce if your child happens to be obsessed with it.

"Coleslaw": Grate carrot, shred sugar snaps with a knife. Mix with either mayo, plain yogurt or a combination.

naty1 Sun 16-Feb-14 13:22:16

Yoghurt with the fruit in?
Dried fruit other than raisins?
(My 20m old really only likes fruit and bread so not really meats)
Not even grapes or berries?
Did she have reflux?
Could she just still have a bottle of smoothie? Could be bad for teeth though

lljkk Sun 16-Feb-14 16:08:40

The only veg DS will touch is cooked carrots.
Oh, baked beans & humus sometimes, too.
I basically strong-armed the other DC into eating veg from about 2.5yo but DS is my experiment & sure enough, he doesn't touch 'em!

Jaffakake Sun 16-Feb-14 22:04:52

I'm 35 and wasn't really brought up to eat fruit. I like some, but mainly warm with cream on. I've tried to reeducate my palette as an adult, but tbh I prefer raw carrot. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Mamacook is a good blog for recipes. She's good at hiding veg in stuff. If I were you I'd back off & give her the option of eating it & if she chooses not to just go With it. At some point peer pressure or maturity may make a difference, or maybe not & she'll be like me & at 3 will class one portion as a glass of wine! (Oddly I ate loads of fruit when I was pregnant!)

boredbuthappy Mon 17-Feb-14 01:12:27

So sorry you're having this issue. Things that have worked for me (and 3 year old DS):

Hide veg in homemade pasta sauce, saute and blend to a pulp

Canned fruit (not so bad compared to no fruit at all, just check labels for added sugar and avoid those and also those packed syrup. You want packed in juice)

Smoothies (add veg to these as well)

Yogurt with blended fruit (so blended that there is no evidence of any fruit bits apart from colour)

Hopefully, with baby steps, you will be able to coax your little one to enjoy fruit and veg!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now