Windy Baby? Desperate

(21 Posts)
tgamble13 Wed 22-Jan-14 15:43:35

we used aptamil and had winding problems changed to cow and gate and things have been better

IndigoTea Tue 21-Jan-14 11:03:23

Two things I would try: Hydrolysed formula incase baby is allergic to cows milk protein - get GP to prescribe it or get over counter at large boots. If that doesn't help then try medication for silent reflux. We used lansaparzole for LO, and after two weeks of being on medication LO was a different baby - a happy one! Go and see your GP and ask for an immediate referral to a peadetrician too.

If that doesn't make

JenBehavingBadly Sun 19-Jan-14 14:37:58

With DS we found winding during feeds helped a lot, as did raising the head do his mattress a bit.

murphy36 Sun 19-Jan-14 14:33:03

13weeks ours is the same. change in formula helped but gave him v.bad and painful constipation. doctor suggested cooled boiled water between feeds (between so not replacing) to help his tummy settle which works ok.

check with you doc first though.

budwisehoor Fri 17-Jan-14 03:37:51

Hiya. My little fella wassn't extremely bad but when I felt he was windy a great tip I got from scbu was rubbing the crown of his head in clockwise motions, also laying him on my chest to wind but tickling his feet or thighs would cause him to draw his legs up which seemed to help release the wind. still works now at 17 months so worth a try. HTH Bud

bluebeanie Thu 16-Jan-14 18:33:01

No worries. They've been a lifeline for me too. smile

ThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight Thu 16-Jan-14 16:52:37

They're well used here but always first in line when any cuts have to be made hmm terrible as they're also a source of support many are situated in 'deprived' areas. Have you checked there's not one near you at all as most are within a short travelling distance from towns

Anyway must end hijack there sorry op thanks

plentyofsoap Thu 16-Jan-14 11:19:11

It is a shame about the surestarts although they do not seem to be in my area (yet) I think they are not used enough by the parents that they were set up to help perhaps? They have always had great courses on offer and lovely playgroups. It is all for the benefit of the children ultimately which is so important.

ThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight Thu 16-Jan-14 10:29:45

Sorry for this blatant thread hijack
But with everyone mentioning SureStart centres isn't it a shame that they're closing down left right and centre when they're such a lifeline confused

Op hope everything improves for you soon x

SmallBee Thu 16-Jan-14 08:13:56

Alex it's hard to say if it IS lentils/fizzy drinks or just this horrible fennel tea I'm drinking. I'm also bring much more rigorous about burping and using infacol so it could just be one of those or a random combination.

Alexandra6 Thu 16-Jan-14 08:11:06

Interesting about the lentils/fizzy drinks etc - I wondered if my diet's affecting things. How long would it take to have an effect though? Also I heard some babies are dairy intolerant so thought I'd cut that out to check but it's really hard to do and again not sure how long I'd have to do it for to test it.

plentyofsoap Thu 16-Jan-14 07:07:00

Definately give surestart a call and explain. They have other courses too when baby is older. It is hard to take them to courses when they are so little (dd demanded feeding at ours) but we got the guide given to us so I have used that at home.
It will get better, you are doing a great job.

SmallBee Thu 16-Jan-14 05:47:20

Oh dear, so sorry OP it's very hard to watch your baby in pain.
All the advice above is great, I can only add what worked for me. Someone on another thread recommended drinking fennel tea & at the same time I cut out fizzy drinks. This combo has massively reduced DDs wind. Although tonight I had lentils & now she's a fart machine so I guess they're out too!
Good luck & I hope something on this thread helps.

ktef Thu 16-Jan-14 05:15:17

Oh and holding baby's feet while they lie flat on their back and doing bicycle legs helped sometimes. But mainly time, weaning, them getting older and more mobile is probably what changed things.

ktef Thu 16-Jan-14 05:10:49

Oh you sound like you are having a difficult time. My ds3 had painful wind. I found it really hard. Even though he was my third, I thought I knew what I was doing etc, but I still really struggled as he just seemed so uncomfortable. But you are so nearly there!! In my experience it does get better! I am sure things will get better when your dc is weaned. Maybe wean a bit early? If I were you I would bypass the hv and get yourself to gp for both the wind and your PND. You sound like you are doing a really good job.

bluebeanie Thu 16-Jan-14 04:53:24

It is useful to here sure start might do home visits as I took her to a massage session (paid) and she screamed the place down (overtired/doesn't fall asleep without rocking)sad Anyone tried comfort milk? I mentioned silent reflux to hv and she said it wasn't. Ho hum

plentyofsoap Thu 16-Jan-14 03:41:08

I did a surestart baby massage course last week and since doing it everyday dd has stopled her evening screaming sessions. The lady who ran it said for colic they would do home visits. Its worth a try?

Gooseysgirl Thu 16-Jan-14 03:18:45

OP have you heard of silent reflux? My DS is younger than yours but has similar issues and I'm thinking it might be this. As it happens we are seeing a paediatrician next week as part of his 6-8 week check at GP (paediatrician is supervising registrar, wouldn't happen at normal GP check up) and I'm going to ask about it then (rather than relying on Dr Google).

ThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight Thu 16-Jan-14 02:52:31

Swaddling
Holding baby in the tiger in the tree position
Using something like a tummy tub to bathe
Frequent winding during feeds

Sure you'll get some other people on soon with good ideas x
My dd is four months old and has had everything going, settled a bit now though.
Was your baby checked for tongue tie?

Alexandra6 Thu 16-Jan-14 02:29:15

Have you tried a baby massage class? Someone told me gentle baby massage can help. Mine is 5 weeks and we're struggling with wind/reflux so will be following this for any other tips! Hope it eases off for you with weaning if not before.

bluebeanie Thu 16-Jan-14 01:27:56

DD is 17 weeks. She is ff Aptimil First. Please no flaming for it, I tried so hard to bf. We've tried everything to ease her painful wind including Dentinox, Infacol, Colief, Gripe Water and another formula (Hipp Organic). Obviously not all at once. Use Dr Browns bottles. Nothing really touches it. We've tried different winding techniques with some success. We just thought it was colic and she'd grow out of it by now, but no.

It's so hard to see her in pain and it's taking a big toil on her/our sleep. It can take her ages to settle. No real suggestions from HV and allergies not detected. I suspect that we'll just have to wait and hope she grows out of it the more active she gets or eases with weaning?

I have pnd and this isn't helping it as I feel so guilty and tired. Can only ask DH to help out with night feedings so much as he commutes a fair distance. Any one with similar experiences/light at the end of the tunnel stories?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now