Are we expecting too much?

(7 Posts)
kerry85 Sun 05-Jan-14 09:22:25

My dd has slept in her own room from being 6mo. We have the odd night where she wakes up crying and unsettled, more often than not she "cries it out" but sometimes, and more recently as we have a nearly 7mo dd she has come into our bed where she settles and goes to sleep.
Lately she has been waking up more often and we are struggling to let her cry it out because she is disturbing 7mo dd.
last night dd1 woke and after many attempts to calm her down, by giving her her dummy and tucking her back in, she ended up waking dd2. It was 3am and dd2 was wide awake! Dd1 ended up in our bed with dh while I took dd2 downstairs for a little play, nappy change and feed before taking her back up to bed when dd1 and dd2 asleep.
Dd2 has slept right through the night from being 3 weeks old, so a 3am get up again is just going backwards.
I wasn't sure if dd1 wants to come in our room because she knows dd2 is in our room.
We are hoping to move house in the near future and that's the reason dd2 has not moved into the spare room as don't see the point in decorating and buying furniture if we are moving.

What do we do?
Are we expecting too much too soon?
I just don't know how you sleep train a child without disturbing the other one?

Goldmandra Sun 05-Jan-14 09:58:00

How old is your DD1?

I'm not sure why a baby can't sleep in a room that's not decorated for them?

How long is it advised that you keep them in your bedroom?

kerry85 Sun 05-Jan-14 10:14:55

Dd1 was 2yo in nov

The spare room is a bit of a junk room at the min but granted I suppose we could be clearing it out and put travel cot in there.
It's recommended that baby stays in parents room until 6mo

kerry85 Sun 05-Jan-14 10:17:50

The plan was for dd2 to go into the room where dd1 has had as its decorated for a baby and has cotbed.
Dd1 was then going into spare room newly decorated for her age and with a single bed.
But hopefully moving house has kind of thrown a spanner in the works!

woooooooobooo Sun 05-Jan-14 10:26:39

My dd3 went through a phase at around 2 of getting up screaming in the night. At first I thought it was night terrors but it turned out it was her molars coming in. She's also prone to ear infections which will cause her to wake in the night if she is suffering from one

kerry85 Sun 05-Jan-14 10:55:03

Woooooobooo I never thought of that, her molars are coming through.

I still don't know what to do for the best, try keep her in her own bed, maybe a little spoon of calpol if she wakes if it is her teeth, or bring her in with us?

Goldmandra Sun 05-Jan-14 12:01:43

I would do whatever it takes to get her to sleep for now then tackle them both sleeping in their own rooms once you're in the new house because the move will probably disturb the routines anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now