Want something to change but not sure what to do

(9 Posts)
Madallie Sat 04-Jan-14 21:50:44

I have a post further down about dds sleep and some lovely people have replied which I am grateful for. The main crux of the matter is that dd whi is just 2 has over past few months had so many changes and variations in her sleep pattern and I just feel all over the place. Went from going to bed at 6.45/7 and mostly sleeping through Til between 6 and7 to waking at 5/5.30am. She was consistently starting to take a while to fall asleep at night, usually about 40 mins and would only sleep between 10 and 10.5 hrs at night. She was having a 1.25-1.5hr nap around about 12.30pm. I changed bedtime gradually to 7.15 then 7.30 so eventually she was falling asleep by about 8 ish or a bit before and sleeping Til at least 6 am which is more manageable. However now she is taking between 1 and 1.5 hrs to got to sleep so isn't asleep til 8.30/9pm. She then wakes up between 6.45 and 7.20am.

I just feel this is too late for a just 2 year old and I don't understand why she takes so long to fall asleep. I have tried cutting her nap to 1 hr a couple of times but this isn't much less than her normal nap length anyway plus it hasn't made a difference to how long it takes her to go off really.

I've come to realise that this routine is not suiting our life and I want it to change but not sure exactly what to do. I don't want my 2 year old awake up Til 8.30/9pm as I want time at the end of the day to switch off/unwind plus Dh works late a lot so it's just me at home in the evenings. Also dc2 is due in 4.5 wks and I think I will need time in the evenings to deal with him/her.

I know I can't physically make her sleep longer but with 10.5 hrs night sleep I feel there must be a better routine we can get into. I don't know whether I should drop nap, shorten nap to say 45mins, put her to bed earlier (could she be OT?), put her to bed later (maybe she wouldn't take so long to go off). I know she'll never sleep 7-7 but I want a routine that suits us more.

Sorry for mammoth post. Does anyone gave an advise or suggestions they could share?

LittleNickola Sat 04-Jan-14 23:15:38

Just a quick reply to say that my son dropped his naps completely at that age, and then everything fell into place with the night time sleep. He was tired in the afternoons at first but soon adapted, and meant that 7-7 became totally achievable.

Madallie Sat 04-Jan-14 23:23:27

Thanks little. Can I just ask what made you think your son didn't need his nap? Did he get difficult to put down at nap time or did he take a nap ok but become difficult to get to sleep at night? Only cos my dd goes down for naps well so I'm worried she does still need them. Thanks.

LittleNickola Sat 04-Jan-14 23:38:56

To be honest he did get more difficult to get to sleep at nap time. He would resist his nap for a while, but then stay asleep for an hour or more. But then at bedtime he wasn't tired at all - he would be awake until around 9pm, and that's why I started experimenting with dropping the nap. As soon as I tried it, he went to sleep at 7 on the dot and was only tired in the afternoons for a couple of weeks. Some days he had a nap when he really needed it, but he'd dropped it completely after a couple of months.

cravingcake Sun 05-Jan-14 08:08:01

Very similar situation to you. My DS was 2 in October & DC2 is due in 2 weeks. Over christmas his routine has gone completely out the window and has ended up with him going to bed late (8.30-9pm, asleep about 9.30-10pm) and waking about 6.30am. He's had a lot of change between his birthday & christmas, moved to a new bedroom, new toddler bed and we got rid of his dummy.

We decided yesterday morning to not let him have a daytime nap anymore and see if this makes going to bed earlier & easier. So far so good, bed at 7.20pm and he was asleep by 8pm.

While he does nap happily, and sometimes for over 2 hrs, we have had a few days where he's not not had a nap and has gone to bed at a much better time which made us decide to try this. It is going to make my days a lot harder but i'm employing the help of grandad in the short term (as i've had a few signs of early labour & need to rest) until after i've had DC2, when my mum will be staying with us for a few weeks (having elcs so need the help).

Madallie Sun 05-Jan-14 13:43:52

Thanks craving. Does your ds sleep any longer at night without a nap or show signs of being overtired I.e. Waking in the night I earlier? That's what I'm concerned about. I don't want to cut her nap and then her have less overall sleep iyswim.

cravingcake Sun 05-Jan-14 14:12:44

Its early days as we've only done it occasionally until this weekend but are now trying it full time. We have noticed he will go to sleep earlier but wake around same time, so over the course of the day he is still getting the same amount of sleep overall, just not split into nap & nighttime.

I think its one of things that you wont know until you try. Give it a go for a few days and if your DD is really struggling then try letting her have a small power nap (20-30mins max) in the day. We have decided that if DS falls asleep in the car during the day then we'll let him sleep but only for 20 mins while in the car. Generally we arent in the car for any longer than that at a time so dont think it will be an issue.

Madallie Sun 05-Jan-14 14:30:30

I think ur right craving. I'm just being too much if a wimp to try it! Pregnancy hormones are not helping at the moment either!

cravingcake Sun 05-Jan-14 14:43:53

Totally with you on the pregnancy hormones!

Set a day to start and stick with that. Make sure its when you have support from your DH or friends and other family who can help you out. Prepare in your mind for the worst and then in reality it really isnt as bad as you think. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now