14 month old ( not walking )

(11 Posts)
Bedsheets4knickers Sat 04-Jan-14 21:22:58

She's up she gets around the sofa, stands in her cot. She's always ridged on tip toes. I've never seen her put her foot flat to the floor. She's very wobbly no balance due to the tipy toe. She doesn't stand unaided. Past couple of days while she's sat on dp lap he's tried to loosen the tenseness in her feet to encourage the muscle to relax but she refuses to relax against it. It's not the not walking that worries me. She's my second child so I know they all develop at different stages. Just slightly concerned she may have a tendon problem or something actually stopping her put her foot flat.
Does this make sense, it's hard to explain. It's as if she's constantly doing ballet???

LunchLadyWannabe Sat 04-Jan-14 21:25:09

I would take her to the gp, may be something very simple, but i would go if shes unable to put her foot flat

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 05-Jan-14 11:17:34

I think I will. It will go flat to the palm of our hand but she won't let you do it for more than a second or 2.

SimLondon Sun 05-Jan-14 20:57:31

the nhs has children's community physio's that either your gp or your HV can refer you to - they can spot / rule out any physical problems and give you exercises to do if its just a muscle strengthening thing.

Hi bed, I agree with the other posters, I would ask GP or health visitor for a referral to a paediatric physiotherapist or a paediatrician. Some areas have physiotherapy drop in's like the weigh in clinics. Have a word with your health visitor. All the best.

Keznel Sun 05-Jan-14 21:14:33

My DD was like this, I was attending a physio for my back and asked her advice. She said not to worry that as you said they all develop at different rates, but to get her measured for cruising shoes. So I took her to clarks all the while thinking I was wasting my money and got her cruising shoes she stood flat footed in them and might be coincidence but she improved albeit slowly. She finally took off walking on her own at 17months and now at 20months runs everywhere!! As others have said take her to GP for peace of mind. I know it's hard not to worry my DD is not talking yet either so that's my worry at the mo, there's always something grin

Bedsheets4knickers Tue 14-Jan-14 20:11:13

Ok so we now have the cruising shoes , she's still on tip toes in them. They annoy her so she's standing a lot less. Have gp booked for nxt thurs!!!

FlossieTreadlight Tue 14-Jan-14 20:18:27

My DD started walking at 15 months after tippytoeing for a while. Do get her checked, but I just wanted to reassure you a bit.

ChilliQueen Tue 14-Jan-14 20:22:03

Whether walking or not, tip toes is not great. Not for any horrible reason, but it shortens the calf muscles. I would go to the GP. I did tip toes for years (though older 5/6+), now have massive calf muscles, and not very bendy in that region. My DS, age 7, often walks tip toes when no shoes... I'm constantly saying when walking... HEEL-TOE, HEEL-TOE! I've no idea, but the earlier you get them out of it probably the better.

minipie Tue 14-Jan-14 21:05:22

I think this is quite common actually so hopefully your GP will be familiar with it. HV might be too.

Bedsheets4knickers Thu 23-Jan-14 12:39:53

Been docs this morn. Looks like. She's going to need physio as her muscles are very tight In the ankle.
Glad I started this thread now because I'd of probably of left it a few more months before seeing a doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now