7/9 yo daughters commenting that they are fat/ugly

(9 Posts)
EustaciaVye Fri 03-Jan-14 22:54:35

dd1 and dd2 today had a conversation about how they had fat legs. 9yo also said she had a couple of spots which made her ugly. sad

I wasnt there but was told about it. I am horrified. They are beautiful (skinny) girls.

I want to talk to them about this but dont want to make it a bigger issue.

Advice welcomed please

BelleOfTheBorstal Fri 03-Jan-14 23:08:25

Could I point you towards the Dove self,-esteem campaign.
It has lots of ways of showing your dd's why they are thinking in these terms and how not to.

EustaciaVye Sat 04-Jan-14 07:34:24

Thankyou Belle. I will go and google it.

Jinglebellsforthebetter Sat 04-Jan-14 07:54:57

DDs are slightly younger and do the same sad

I never criticise my own weight or appearance in front of them, don't "diet" (I do 5:2 but with the emphasis on long term health benefits), put the scales away, praise other qualities e.g. perseverance and hope for the best confused It worries me hugely though brew

They must be hearing this sort of stuff somewhere, it's sort of inevitable they will but 7 in particular is very young. Can you think where it may be coming from?

EustaciaVye Sat 04-Jan-14 08:36:32

dh and I are a bit overweight and have started exercising a bit but emphasis has been on getting fit.

dd1 has mentioned it before so not sure what she hears at school.

TwerkingNineToFive Sat 04-Jan-14 12:16:45

Do they read magazines etc? If so you could google 'Britney spears before and after photo shop'
Maybe this could help you have a conversation about the difference between being a normal beautiful young girl and trying to conform to an unachievable photoshop image of perfection.

EustaciaVye Sat 04-Jan-14 16:30:36

That is a good idea Twerking. Thanks

EustaciaVye Wed 08-Jan-14 18:50:34

we had a fab discussion about photoshop and what really makes someone beautiful. thanks ladies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now