2 yrs 6 months nightmare nappy changes

(4 Posts)
camdancer Fri 03-Jan-14 18:40:21

Can anyone suggest anything to help my 2yr 6mo's nappy changes. They are a proper nightmare. She seems to be in pain when I wipe her bottom after a poo. It is more than just not liking it. We have tears, screams, writhing, clamping her legs together.

So far I've tried:
special toys, stickers, tv programs
standing up changes
using warm water and cotton wool pads rather than wipes
potty training her (she just isn't interested at all)

Background:
She has ezcema and so gets nappy rash easily but it seems ok atm.
She also gets thrush easily but that also seems ok atm.
She is also now withholding her poo because it is all so traumatic.
It doesn't seem to hurt when she does her poo or wee but just at wiping time.

I feel like I'm really hurting her when I change her nappy and it is just horrible for everyone. I went to the doctor who just told me to give her a toy to distract her and that all 2 year olds hate having their nappy changed. She is my 3rd and I know when something is wrong rather than her just not liking something. I don't know where to go from here. Do I just wait until she decides to potty train, or has anyone got any ideas that I could try? At the moment I'm just having to hold her down very forcefully to get it done. sad

girliefriend Fri 03-Jan-14 19:09:10

I would start potty training now tbh. Sounds traumatic for her and you.

Have a chat with her and say if you don't want to wear nappies then you have to wear big girl knickers and use the potty/ toilet.

TheGreatHunt Fri 03-Jan-14 23:00:15

Are you using wipes? Because they can sting. Switch to flannels and water or cotton wool.

Use loads of barrier cream.

And distract. I give dd my phone!

camdancer Sat 04-Jan-14 09:57:35

We did use wipes but then changed to using warm water and cotton wool pads. It helped a bit, but it takes so much longer that is just prolongs the agony. Plus it is much harder when we are out. We've tried different types of creams (sudocrem, savlon, fullers earth cream).

I think we are just going to have to put up with it until she decides to use the toilet. We've tried all the usual bribes for potty training (chocolate, stickers, new knickers, new potty etc) but she just isn't interested atm.

I'm going to try giving her the tablet to play with. Hopefully that'll distract her a bit.

Thanks for the help so far. Anyone have any other ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now