Using products on babies

(24 Posts)
Taler Thu 02-Jan-14 18:31:25

What age can I start using bath washes (ie Johnsons Top To Toe Wash) on my 8 week old DD?

I am aware that they have natural oils at his young age so therefore you shouldn't use anything other than water, but wonder how much longer this will be he case?

Thanks

AwfulMaureen Thu 02-Jan-14 18:34:01

To be honest I would never use that stuff...I know millions do...but it's not as good as a nice organic one with no parabens etc. Look in Boots for their Organic baby range. Then maybe in a few weeks?

Alexchallex Thu 02-Jan-14 19:12:11

I used pretty much from birth . No problems

We have never used washes on DD. We have used shampoo from about 1 (sulphate free) and have recently started using a shampoo including sulphates (at 3) but only once a week.

Why do you need to use more than water?

StuckOnARollercoaster Thu 02-Jan-14 19:16:42

You don't have to use them. We just use water and a flannel and she's clean and smells nice.
I've been warned off so many and especially Johnson's that it saves any hassle!
I suspect that if you want to go ahead then there is no age - most of my friends have used stuff from the start - I think I'm the only odd one that hasn't bothered with anything.

Taler Thu 02-Jan-14 19:58:07

Thanks. I'm not necessarily wanting to use any products on her, just wasn't too sure if I should be yet. Plus I wondered just how clean you can get with only water???

minipie Thu 02-Jan-14 20:54:35

DD is still washed with only water at 14 months old (she is pretty bald still so no need for shampoo smile) and she's perfectly clean. in fact her skin's been often complimented. She takes after DH who is prone to dry skin so I'm avoiding any soap or other product for as long as possible.

I use wipes on her bottom at nappy change and on her hands and face at mealtimes so that helps remove any grubbiness too.

The only time we use a wash product is if she's had sun cream on - not likely at the moment!

Toecheese Fri 03-Jan-14 08:40:06

My kids are older and we still avoid all that stuff except shampoo. At the end of the day it's all just chemicals and I'd rather keep exposure down.

ComplexAndDangerous Fri 03-Jan-14 09:01:55

Chemicals are everywhere

Anyway the naice organic bath stuff brought DS out in a rash, he was fine with J&J (used from about 9 months). Naice organic doesn't mean better for skin, often quite the opposite due to potent essential oils etc

Anyway we now use e45 (both of us) as it's really gentle and softening. Costs and arm and a leg though!

MummyJetsetter Fri 03-Jan-14 11:13:07

I used bath stuff from day 1 and had no problems. In fact dd just has a bath with my 4yo ds. He has the vosene kids body wash and I just put a drop in the bath so I suppose it's not very much, it's just nice for them to smell nice.

Some of the ingredients in shampoos and body washes have been linked to eczema (particularly sodium lauryl sulfate). We avoid these products as DH has bad eczema and we don't want DD to develop it.

MrsCaptainReynolds Fri 03-Jan-14 14:53:17

We've used mainly water and tiny amounts of this stuff -
http://www.thelittlegreensheep.co.uk/Bathtime/Baby-Toiletries/
-when he particularly needs a wash.

We only wash hair once a week.

BocaDeTrucha Fri 03-Jan-14 15:47:31

I'm worried now I've been doing the wrong thing as we have been washing ds's hair since day one. He has so much of it and if we don't wash it it looks really sorry and greasy. The other day the midwife said that he says seating when I was too embarrassed to day it was just that his hair is greasy. DS is 15 weeks old.

nancerama Fri 03-Jan-14 15:53:33

DS is 2.6 and has never had any product at bath time, except for Waitrose baby shampoo for his hair (when it finally showed up about a year ago).

We use mild soap for hand washing, but even the grubbiest toddler comes out shiny clean after a soak in warm water. Save your money!

BocaDeTrucha Fri 03-Jan-14 16:14:57

I really need to spell check my posts!!! Midwife said he was sweating when it was just his hair being greasy!!!! Hope that makes more sense.

fififrog Fri 03-Jan-14 20:24:27

My DD is 2.9 and we have only ever used just water, until about a year ago she got eczema and now we usually add a bit of oilatum junior bath additive on prescription. She has bubble bath about once a month foe fun rather than cleanliness. Only did that from about 18 months. We only wash her hair, of which she has loads, about once every 2 months, using some kind of gentle sulphate/parabens free type shampoo. Everyone always says she has beautiful hair and how do we look after it.

so my advice is save yourself some money and use nothing at all!

Jaffakake Fri 03-Jan-14 22:19:41

We basically use shampoo & some top to toe wash for when ds is visibly dirty & have done since he had hair you could actually wash iykwim. They don't sweat like we do (apart from their feet) so water pretty much does the job.

NannyR Fri 03-Jan-14 22:49:37

As a nanny, I've used lots of different bath products and johnsons always makes my hands feel really tight and dry after bathing kids. The little one I'm looking after now is 20 months old and has never used bubble bath, soap or shampoo, only plain water. He looks and smells lovely and clean!

McWeedie Fri 03-Jan-14 23:28:06

I didn't use any products in the bath until my two were about one and that was only to add bubbles to the bath. I don't use shampoo as they are still pretty bald. I use a tiny amount of Burts Bees Baby its very gentle and smells lovely.

Do not use Johnsons ever. I stupidly made the mistake of putting some in their bath last week as I had run out, before they had even got out their skin was red sore.

Evilwater Sat 04-Jan-14 10:43:10

I have a very grubby 15 month old, who is just learning to use a spoon. So he gets bathed once a day or so. I use my lush honey shampoo, and shower gel.

Evil

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 04-Jan-14 11:43:10

Mine were fine with just water for ages but I've never used Johnson's, they are just too harsh and lots of babies in our family have had problems with Johnson's products.

nancerama Sat 04-Jan-14 15:24:39

I'm sure I remember a thread here from a dermatologist about Johnson's products (which I almost certainly would have bought of if not read the thread). Most of us were brought up with Johnson's bubbles, shampoo, soaps etc, but over the years they have altered the ingredients to make the raw materials cheaper and cheaper. It's just not the same stuff that we were washed in, and is much harsher on many babies.

fififrog Sat 04-Jan-14 17:22:29

Update: i second Lush. Very nice. After success with bubble bars we bought some 'Fun' yesterday, it was fab and her skin is super-soft and lovely today and her hair is gorgeous - i didn't actually wash her hair but she lay down in the bubbles grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 04-Jan-14 18:03:12

DS has always had uber dry skin and is very cautious about trying new products. We convinced him to try a lush bath bomb today with the promise of showering him off immediately if he was in discomfort. He loved it and said that his skin was better than it had been in months smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now