How long does you2 year old take to fall asleep at night

(20 Posts)
FredFredGeorge Wed 25-Dec-13 22:14:12

2.5yr old, goes to sleep in minutes if tired, both at nap time (if she has one, which she'll generally do by choice or with minimal encouragement, although less likely with DP as then she demands a bf which wakes her up, but has tapered down to only 1 or 2 a week now) and at bed time.

However bedtime is when she's tired, not any specific time, so is often past 9pm particularly if she chose to nap.

Twattergy Wed 25-Dec-13 06:58:29

Limiting our 26mo to one hours nap mean he's asleep in minutes with the occasional 10 mins of singing from him. 7 to 7.30 bed time, 5.45 am to 6.30 wake up.

JCMSD Tue 24-Dec-13 21:07:56

My 2.3 DD is exactly the same OP. We occasionally cut the naps but have nightmare dinner times and last hours before bed so decided its not worth it. Afternoons are much better for everyone with the nap

oopsadaisyme Tue 24-Dec-13 14:54:08

My 4 year old was always brilliant - Bath, story, cuddle, done!

Now, total nightmare, wants to be with me until he falls asleep, so much so I've given up and go to bed with him snuggled up until he falls asleep -

I know I'm making a rod for my own back with this one, but he just wont settle now!

treaclesoda Tue 24-Dec-13 14:39:25

Bike and superchick my two year old is the same, we are driven to distraction. We have tried everything and can't get him to go to sleep without one of us there.

BikeRunSki Tue 24-Dec-13 14:07:14

Thank goodness I am not alone! < cries with relief on superchick's shoulder>.

superchick Tue 24-Dec-13 06:45:21

My 2.4 yo DD is like BikeRunSkis. She has no regular nap routine as she won't settle in her bed in the day so she snoozes in the car or buggy sometimes but sometimes not and she needs to be sat with while she falls asleep at night. We managed to cut her down from an hours cuddling to a few minutes of hand holding luckily. She drops off v quickly if she hasn't napped and takes longer if she has.

fizzly Mon 23-Dec-13 23:44:29

DD who is 2.3 goes to sleep in minutes, however I remember well this period with DS who is now 4. Used to regularly take at least an hour to get to sleep. It was actually super cute as he would recite his favourite books, or sing his favourite songs (which we could just about hear from the living room) and it was no problem....until we moved him out of a cot into a bed. We then had 2 hours of faffing around every night, up down up down. At which point we cut his nap, more or less over night and...more or less over night he began going to sleep within minutes again. I still rather miss the singing tho! (Less keen for DD to start doing it though as the kids now share a room!!).

BitScary Mon 23-Dec-13 23:41:03

Dd usually does 12 or nearly 12 hours at night from when she falls asleep. So while 8.30 is late for a lot of families it works with our set up and she gets plenty of sleep overall.

CrapBag Mon 23-Dec-13 21:50:53

I know my dd still needs her daytime nap and she wouldn't fall asleep any earlier in the eveningevening with a shorter nap so we just put her up to bed and leave her to it and we'll keep her nap until she drops it herself. Ds was the same, he napped til gone 3.

As long as she seems OK I wouldn't worry about it. She is getting the sleep she needs.

Madallie Mon 23-Dec-13 21:45:40

Thanks Bike that sounds quite tough. I guess at least my dd will fall asleep herself even if it does take a long time.

BikeRunSki Mon 23-Dec-13 21:44:53

Well it's quarter to ten and dd is still refusing to go to sleep.

BikeRunSki Mon 23-Dec-13 21:43:46

DD is 26 months. She has always been a terrible sleeper. She'll occasionally sleep about an hour in the early afternoon. Takes about half an hour of cuddling to fall asleep, but will not entertain the idea of going to bed awake.

Madallie Mon 23-Dec-13 21:43:02

Thanks. Just feel bad it takes her long to fall asleep. Especially as it never used to. Funnily though she does nap longer now than she ever really has before.

Is it possible she just needs this longer nap but longer awaKe time then between nap and bed?

Is 20.30 too late for a just 2 year old to be going to sleep?

BitScary Mon 23-Dec-13 21:42:56

Pretty much same as you op. I don't see huge problems with it for now.

bishboschone Mon 23-Dec-13 21:39:20

Not long , sometimes within seconds . He has a hour nap about 12 but is always tired by 7 pm . Occasionally he chats for 10 minutes but it's rare . We use a scout bear that plays 10 minutes of bedtime music , he has had it since birth and I think it it hypnotises him wink

DontCallMeDaughter Mon 23-Dec-13 21:28:14

Dd is 2 in a couple if weeks. Has 1.5-2hr nap at lunch time and bed at 7. Takes her 10-15 mins to fall asleep. Wakes up 6.30-7.30am depending on how lucky we are!

Madallie Mon 23-Dec-13 21:25:12

Yeah I guess as long as she's not upset I shouldn't worry. It used to only taker 15-20 mins but I guess as she gets older she will change.

Do you think I should cut her nap or just leave it?

CrapBag Mon 23-Dec-13 21:20:56

My nearly 3 year old will have a 2\3 hour nap each day and we put her to bed at 7. She can be awake until 9, just laying or chatting to her toys. We leave her to it, she's not coming to any harm.:-D

Madallie Mon 23-Dec-13 21:09:06

Juat that really. Dd's just 2. Naps for 1.5 hrs at 12.30? We put her to bed. 7.30. She falls asleep at 20.30. She does not cry or get upset but I hust worry that this is too long or her to fall asleep.

What do others think? And how London do your toddlers take to fall asleep?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now