My newborn baby is holding his head up.

(42 Posts)
DaleyBump Sat 30-Nov-13 21:30:04

Sorry, no idea if I'm posting this in the right place. DS was born on Friday and he keeps holding his head up, even when I'm supporting it. Is this normal? Will he hurt himself? Probably totally paranoid and pfb, sorry!

QueenElizabethTheZygon Sat 30-Nov-13 21:32:49

No it's fine, he's practicing! DS was trying it a few days after birth too. smile

FannyFifer Sat 30-Nov-13 21:32:54

Normal, don't worry, one of mine was like this from birth as well.

dyslexicdespot Sat 30-Nov-13 21:33:04

DS was able to hold his head up from birth as well. I'm not sure if it normal but I don't think it is harmful.

LovesBeingHereAgain Sat 30-Nov-13 21:33:13

My ds was looking round the room when dh was walking him round after being born so not totally nonalcoholic but not tgat rare

DaleyBump Sat 30-Nov-13 21:33:50

Thanks everyone! smile

Mine did this an hour after he was born. Looked like he was peering round, glaring at everyone. the midwife looked impressed, but not overly amazed and didn't say anything other than "ooh look, he's supporting his head", so I'm sure it's fine. Was quite handy when we were passing him to each other, and getting out of the pram etc.

ViviDeBeauvoir Sat 30-Nov-13 21:34:41

Yep. It's fine! My DC3 was doing this from birth too (goodness knows how as he had a massive head!)

Congratulations!

bigkidsdidit Sat 30-Nov-13 21:34:57

Both of mine could do this. But mine were both two weeks late and very big, so that's probably something to do with it.

Congratulations smile

bundaberg Sat 30-Nov-13 21:35:18

ds1 was like this! midwives in hosp commented on his strength. he was always very physical.. sat, crawled and walked early too.

Teaches me to go and get a snack half way through posting...

LongStripedScarfWearer Sat 30-Nov-13 21:35:53

Yup, my DC2 did this too.

Congratulations!!

ReallyTired Sat 30-Nov-13 21:38:04

No you aren't paranoid.

All healthy newborns can lift their heads a little bit. See this video to see what a newborn is capable of:

www.breastcrawl.org/

congratulations!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 30-Nov-13 21:38:05

Both mine could do this as well, don't worry smile

Congratulations! grin

It is a good sign! Both mine could do it...it was a bit eerie to be fair, they would turn their heads to look if someone spoke in the room. My obstetrician (difficult pregnancy so consultant-led care) saw DD2 do it at 2 days old and commented that it indicated good neural development - so don't worry - but be a little wary and still support the head when you pick him up, it will take a while yet before he can handle the weight for any length of time.

mellicauli Sat 30-Nov-13 21:42:17

My son did this too..9 years later and I can see. No harmful effects.

out2lunch Sat 30-Nov-13 21:42:52

dd did this too - she was 4 wks early

she also crawled smile nurses were impressed

Vicki1972 Sat 30-Nov-13 21:43:32

My oldest was holding her head up really early as well.

You do need to make sure you are still supporting it though as their muscles are still really weak and they have a tendency to suddenly flop.

Congrats by the way.

likelytoasksillyquestions Sat 30-Nov-13 21:46:48

Mine did this, too. It makes sense with his personality - he hated the dependency of babyhood and grouched pretty much nonstop til he was mobile sorry at which point he turned into an endlessly-delighted charm.

He was also ridiculously alert and sleepless. sorry again

His urge-to-independence took me by surprise and really challenged me tbh, but I love it about him now.

He didn't crawl, roll, walk particularly early. He did talk v well early, though.

Ramble, ramble. Congratulations!

out2lunch Sat 30-Nov-13 21:47:15

yy congratulations daley smile

HoratiaDrelincourt Sat 30-Nov-13 21:48:15

All three of mine have done this.

Congratulations on your new arrival!

HappyHolidaysOneAndAll Sat 30-Nov-13 21:48:41

Both mine could too, people found it very odd!

BalloonSlayer Sat 30-Nov-13 21:48:46

My first did this too.

Was also late to walk/sit up/anything and the most un-sporty person (apart from me) you are ever likely to meet.

So . . . imo . . . a good sign of a healthy baby but don't start expecting top sportsman because it's not necessarily a sign of anything much. I think I might have worried that it was a sign that DS1 "needed something that I was maternally failing to offer and was craning his neck looking for it " - well that wasn't so. hmm )

MrJollyLivesNextDoor Sat 30-Nov-13 21:48:58

Congratulations thanks

You're not paranoid, DS (born 2 weeks late) was the same. He also couldn't wait to start pulling himself up, crawling, walking, jumping etc (brace yourself grin )

My lad did it quite early too, maybe day three... Just make sure if you're 'tummy time' that the surface is quite soft, as he may suddenly just drop his head and hurt his wee nose. And continue to support his head when holding him at all times, his neck is still very weak so he won't be able to hold steady for a long time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now