3yo needing speech therapy?

(31 Posts)
kellywall Thu 07-Nov-13 16:06:09

Hi all. I've just returned from my LO's 1 year check up and all was well. However, the HV commented at the end of the appointment that my other son, who turns 3 next week, wasn't speaking very well. She observed this while he babbled on in the background during the appointment. She said his vocabulary was great, and his sentences fine, but she was struggling to understand a lot of what he was saying as he uses a lot of letter replacements. I assumed it was normal for his age but HV wants to refer him to a speech therapist. Should I be worried? Thanks in advance x

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Nov-13 19:54:51

No, you should not be worried but there is absolutely no harm in getting him assessed by SLT.

My. Dd did a lot of sound replacement, things like cossee and mussin instead of coffee and muffin. She had 6 sessions and she was sorted. They do it all through play so your DS will probably enjoy it. My dd kept asking to go back after the course was finished smile

kellywall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:08:54

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't concerned until she mentioned it today. Can I ask how old your DD was?

RandomMess Thu 07-Nov-13 21:12:11

Far better to get him assessed and be in the system than leave it and wait and see - the waiting lists are usually very long...

It can depend on which sounds they are struggling to say as to how concerned the professionals are.

RandomMess Thu 07-Nov-13 21:14:30

these are the age at which they would usually be able to use which sounds

speech sound development chart

ReluctantCamper Thu 07-Nov-13 21:17:52

Hmm, you've made me think I should try to get my son's nursery to refer him for speech therapy. he does lots of sound replacement, shruck instead of truck and so on. Sorry, OP, my comment doesn't help you much!

kellywall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:18:10

eg, when counting he says one, two, bee, bor, bive, six... He can pronounce the letter 'L' when in the middle of a word but not at the beginning. Same with C. I know he can say the letters, if I keep repeating them he will, but quickly reverts back to his way. He can say kick but not car!

kellywall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:19:33

According to that chart he's perfectly normal!!

RandomMess Thu 07-Nov-13 21:23:04

It's not on that chart but I think he should be able to say "c" for car at the begining of a word. Also to use "b" as the subsititute perhaps???

It does seem like the HV is being cautious from what you've said though.

kellywall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:23:08

Hey ReluctantCamper we're all here for help/advice, don't apologise!

FoxyRevenger Thu 07-Nov-13 21:23:39

My 3.5 DD is being referred too. She can't say certain consonants properly - swimming is fimming, pig is piss hmm grin

I think some of it is pure habit - she can't get out of the habit of saying it how she pronounced it when she learned the words she gets wrong. I hope speech therapy will show both of us how to help her get past it.

kellywall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:25:43

He says 'dar' and 'dan' instead of can. But like with the L's he can easily pronounce it in the middle of a word.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Nov-13 21:27:49

She was just 4 and school had picked it up. I hadn't been too concerned as she hadn't started talking much until she was 3. Everyone agreed it was just a bit of immaturity in her speech but if it happened again, I would get the referral sooner.

camper you can self refer to slt smile

kellywall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:29:21

It is a source of amusement at times, like running round my mums garden with a branch shouting 'I've got a big dick!' & I can't repeat what comes out when he tries to say blackcurrant......!

FoxyRevenger Thu 07-Nov-13 21:30:22

Ah yes the big dick...been there! Crisps are also piss and chocolate was cock for a while...

kellywall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:30:35

The HV did say it should be addressed before he starts school but that's almost 2 years away

RandomMess Thu 07-Nov-13 21:30:38

Some of the simple tips you could start now are splitting up the words, ask him "do you mean 'dar' or 'c'-'ar'"

If that makes sense.

FoxyRevenger Thu 07-Nov-13 21:33:07

Random that's a good tip I will try that smile

kellywall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:33:11

haha I actually hope he never changes the way he says crisps. It's ispspspsps (like he's calling a cat) my brother's name is Chris so he has the title of Piss :-D

kellywall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:35:31

I've tried that Random but it doesn't seem to work with him. I tell him to say kick, then repeat the 'k' a few times which he's fine with. 'Now say car.' 'dar'. Give up!

kellywall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:38:08

Also, his little brother is called Lucas and he calls him Ucas. I tell him to say lalalalala which he does fine. LalalalaLucas. LalalalaUcas! It's frustrating to know he can do it

RandomMess Thu 07-Nov-13 21:41:41

That is why you say do you mean d-ar (with a pause between the two sounds) or c-ar.

It could be that he can't hear the difference, and this is the bizarre thing they will often refer you to speech therapy without referring for a hearing test - IMHO they go hand in hand, if they are not hearing all the sounds clearly due to hearing frequencies then they sure as hell aren't going to be able to say them!!!!

Mandy21 Thu 07-Nov-13 21:42:08

My little boy was referred for speech therapy just after he was 3 - different issue, he was stammering a little bit - but they were very good. I'd go just to see what they say - it can't do any harm.

RandomMess Thu 07-Nov-13 21:44:10

kick is all throat sound
car is throat sound followed by tip of tongue sound so a completely different sound, hence dar is easier as it's all front of mouth sound.

I am probably not using the right terms but hopefully you can work out what I mean.

kellywall Thu 07-Nov-13 21:44:55

Thank you everyone for the advice. The HV said it would take a while but my local children's centre has a drop in next week so I'll pop in there and see what they think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now