What do you think of teen mums?

(32 Posts)
teenmumandlovingit Fri 20-Sep-13 17:12:50

So, yeah, becoming pregnant was a mistake. A big mistake. I was pregnant at 18. I love my daughter Eliza and son Thomas, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Anyway, to cut it short - WHAT DO YOU THINK OF TEEN MUMS?

lljkk Fri 20-Sep-13 20:13:57

My mother & grandmothers were all teen mums. Feel a bit bad about not carrying on a family tradition.

I'm almost 23 and had DS at 19.

It is certainly not a choice I'd advocate but I really didn't want an abortion and was upduffed by accident, so just had to deal with it.

I'm now doing a degree and it would obviously have been easier the other way around. People will think/say what they want, so it's how you feel about yourself and how you act that matters. Who cares, frankly?

Pillowplumper Fri 20-Sep-13 17:43:12

My mum was barely out of her teens and she has a very successful career. I was also young and still went back to finish my master's degree. However, I think I would be quite sad if my daughter was a really young mum. It is hard to build a career or finish your studies when you also have the demands of a young family. I also wouldn't have wanted to miss out on all the crazy fun and travel that I did in my teens and wouldn't want my children to either.

BigFatCushion Fri 20-Sep-13 17:42:42

Stinks of journo in here.

At 18 I was a teenager, just starting my degree.

But I still don't feel like my DCs were a mistake or that I wasted my life.

LynetteScavo Fri 20-Sep-13 17:35:39

Er...odd question.

I don't really think anything about teen mums. confused

Did you have both of your DC in your teens? Do you consider them both a big mistake? confused

If someone under 16 became pregnant, I would be concerned about he health. If someone under 18 was pregnant, I would be concerned about her education.

But then if a career minded person in their 20's who was desperately trying to climb the career ladder became pregnant, I might be concerned about her career.....but I don't really think anything about people of any age in general. Everybody's circumstances are different.

usualsuspect Fri 20-Sep-13 17:34:52

I was 19, still a teenager.

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 20-Sep-13 17:34:32

What Tee said ^^.
And you need to learn subtlety.

Anyway what about the TEEN DADS?

I think being pregnant under 16 isn't a great idea. I wouldn't think of an 18/19 year old as a teen, I know they are but they are legally adults then.

usualsuspect Fri 20-Sep-13 17:33:51

It's only a big deal if you make it one.

Most of us just get on with it.

cressida why do you think teen mums have wasted their lives, just out of curiousity?

DuelingFanjo Fri 20-Sep-13 17:32:38

my mother was pregnant around 18, it's no big deal is it?

I was 18 when I was pregnant with dd. 20 with ds1.

I don't feel like I've wasted my life at all.

Tee2072 Fri 20-Sep-13 17:31:27

What publication do you work for?

usualsuspect Fri 20-Sep-13 17:31:04

I not O*

I'm not sure who O is grin

usualsuspect Fri 20-Sep-13 17:29:48

O was a teen mum, I don't feel like I've wasted my life.

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 20-Sep-13 17:29:40

WHY ARE YOU ASKING?

kotinka Fri 20-Sep-13 17:29:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usualsuspect Fri 20-Sep-13 17:28:44

What would you like us to think?

CressidaMontgomery Fri 20-Sep-13 17:27:40

Not a lot. At a push I think they've wasted years they won't get back but that's about it

Hassled Fri 20-Sep-13 17:27:19

All I think of teen mums (and I was 20 when I got pregnant with DC1, so pretty close) is that it makes life that little bit harder for them. Harder to finish qualifications, harder to start a career, harder to have a social life.

Well teens are 13-19 so you can't generalise.

Well, the same as any other mum really.

There are some good parents, irrespective of age.
And there are poor parents again irrespective of age.

stargirl1701 Fri 20-Sep-13 17:22:24

That it must be the 'hard' way round to do things. I think it was far easier to go to Uni, sort out house, career, marriage, etc. before having children than having children then going to Uni, getting a mortgage, etc.

That they must be far more responsible than I was at 18/19. My biggest worry was how much money I had to go out with at the weekend as a student not the immense responsibility of caring for a child.

That they'll have grown up children (freedom!) in their 50s while mine will be in secondary or tertiary education.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now