Should 8 week old take daytime naps in his night time bed?

(6 Posts)
jonnytekno Fri 06-Sep-13 15:24:52

My baby is 8 weeks old and sleeps like a trouper at night: I literally just put him in his crib with a dummy and leave the room, and he self-settles straight aways and averages between 10-12 hours of solid unbroken sleep, however he is a nightmare to get to sleep in the daytime. He will sleep on us or in a sling or in the car etc, but not in his basket - he fusses and cries and we just end up picking him up again.

He seems happy and his day sleeps don't affect his night time, but I am concerned about creating bad habits and don't want to be napping him in a sling when he is 2, so my big question is: should I try putting him to sleep in his night time bed, or will this screw up his night time? Or, will it confuse him and he will try and go to sleep for the night even though its day?

He currently sleeps at night in our bedroom in a crib. At night it is dark and we have white noise on, but we have blackout blinds so I can recreate this exactly during the day.

I am just very nervous that this will confuse him and make him somehow less able to sleep in there at night, as everything I read seems to say day and night should be kept very separate (and yet what confuses me about this is where is he supposed to sleep in the day when he grows out of his moses basket if not in his own bed?) - anyway, any help much appreciated.

thanks

nethunsreject Fri 06-Sep-13 15:31:54

SOunds like things are working brilliantly! I'd go with what is working - babies change so what you're doing now you won't be doing in 2 years time. Personally I don't think you can create bad habits with a baby. Enjoy snuggling in the day - it's a good way to get some rest yourself : )

PeanutPatty Fri 06-Sep-13 15:34:32

IMHO sleep is sleep! Do what works and don't worry about it. Babies change their preferences all the time and thins change with developmental leaps, illness, teething etc so go with the flow!

PeanutPatty Fri 06-Sep-13 15:35:58

Forgot to say mine slept in a buggy in the kitchen, sling, swing chair, bouncy chair, Moses basket....

gretagrape Fri 06-Sep-13 15:43:24

I found that putting my son into his sleeping bag and cot has actually helped with daytime naps - he knows those two things = sleep time regardless of whether it's day or night.

Day and night do need to be very different but you do that in so many other ways that daytime sleeps don't need to be different - my son was the same sleeping in a pram, car, etc, but would scream the place down if I put him in his cot. Once I made the room dark though and put him into a light sleeping bag it's as though he thought "oh, so that's why she's putting me in here"....plus it didn't affect his night sleeping at all.

Lala29 Fri 06-Sep-13 19:04:26

I didn't put DD in her bed for daytime naps until her routine was well established and she was sleeping well at all naps and nighttime (around 13 weeks), but then I am a Gina Ford mum. Until then she slept in her bouncer (the baby bjorn one) or buggy on walks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now