ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Eye contact from baby

(12 Posts)
Onlyconnect Mon 02-Sep-13 10:00:55

My three week old DS doesn't make eye contact. Would this worry you? He occasionally catches our gaze, which appears to be accidental but nothing more than that. I mentioned it to the HV who was reassuring but noted it, which has worried me. DD is 8, so it's a while ago but I think she held our gaze at this age. He Is otherwise alert, although rarely happy when awake unless feeding.

sophj100 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:44:12

Check if it is a hearing issue maybe? I can't remember at what age they do the hearing screening but any concerns, you should definitely mention to your doctor and they should advise you. You said the HV made a note of it but did she suggest any tests you can do at home or advise you to mention to the GP? 'Making a note of it', doesn't really stop you worrying.

GP definitely first port of call. Good Luck smile

Onlyconnect Mon 02-Sep-13 11:50:45

Thank you sophj100. He has had a hearing test which was fine. Far from reassuring me, the HV making a note of it has just made me believe there must be some concern. If there wasn't she would have just told me it was normal and not bothered even to record it surely. No, no exercises or any advice given. I'll see what the midwife thinks today and may go to GP. I take it from your response that you think most babies do make eye contact at this age.

DeWe Mon 02-Sep-13 12:20:40

I think it depends on the child. Dd1 hardly opened her eyes for the first fortnight like a kitten. The first time she held really sustained eye contact was when she smiled at 5 weeks.
I think hearing issues wouldn't stop eye contact-ds has had severe glue eye from very tiny and his eye contact was brilliant.

matana Mon 02-Sep-13 14:47:30

I didn't think they could focus properly for at least the first few weeks! Ds slept constantly for 2 weeks, then when he finally showed me his eyes they looked everywhere except at me! At 2.9yo he's a nosey little monkey, very externally focused and curious about everything, outgoing and entirely normal in every way developmentally. I seem to remember the 4th or 5th week was a turning point which coincided with him beginning to smile. It was literally like a lightbulb going on overnight.

Clobbered Mon 02-Sep-13 14:51:56

Can you see red-eye on any of your photographs of him? (That bright red spot in the middle of the eyes caused by the flash being reflected off the back of the eye) - you could try shining a torch in his eyes briefly to see if you get that red reflection - would at least rule out very obvious cataracts if you could see that.

Definitely see GP for reassurance - stupid HV "making a note". She might as well have told you she was going to tell her dog.

sophj100 Mon 02-Sep-13 14:59:39

Only Connect - please don't assume that if he doesn't look at you, that there is something wrong. It's a long time since my two boys were babies and I'm sure it varies with all babies. Remember, there's so much going on around him to take in, you might be the last thing on his list to look at!

Try not to worry, he's still very young - he may suddenly stare at you, as if to say "oh, there you are" and then not look at anything else! smile

zaphod Mon 02-Sep-13 15:11:20

This is exactly how my ds4 was for the first 6-8 weeks. I brought him to the GP who said it was too early to worry, and he was right. Ds is now a happy ordinary 10 year old. Sorry I can't remember when he started to make eye contact, but I will never forget how worried I was, especially as he was my fifth baby, and none of the others had been like that. Try not to worry.

Onlyconnect Tue 03-Sep-13 09:24:31

The midwife yesterday was reassuring saying it's common not to focus until six weeks. In fact DP says DS did look at hm properly yesterday too so I think I am worrying unnecessarily. I am so old (45) I just can't believe I can produce a healthy baby!

jaja1974 Sun 06-Oct-13 23:06:25

update???

LadyGoodman Sun 06-Oct-13 23:35:38

Jaja I see u have resurrected 5 threads on this subject (some og them years old) for updates if u have actual questions about this why not start your own? U might get responses

Lorakk Sat 12-Oct-13 09:50:47

Hi jaja Do u have similar problems? If so please share My baby is nearly 6weeks old and I thought he started making eye contact week ago but now I dont think he does I worry and really dont know what to do. He doesnt smile either I know that I can go to gp but the answer will be to wait a bit longer I am really dreading if I am going to be referred to paeds and they diagnose him with smth There are so many healthy babies and I want good.health for my baby I am really upset

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now