Tips for changing a pooey nappy when DS starts rolling over and crawling away...

(32 Posts)
BotBotticelli Tue 20-Aug-13 13:21:51

....with his pooey bottom threatening to smear it all over the house?!

DS is nearly 9mo and has just started commando crawling. Changing his nappy now is a nightmare, and he will NOT stay on his back. Just rolls over and starts trying to crawl away if we are on the floor. Or rolls over and starts messing with all the creams and nicknacks on the dresser if we use the changing table.

he ends up smearing poo everywhere and I am at my wits end! Dreading having to change him out and about....not sure what will happen if he does this in the shopping centre's changing area :-S

Please someone tell me there's a foolproof way of getting your LO to stay still for a nappy change? It sounds funny, but I nearly lost my rag with DS earlier on the third poo change of the day sad Don't want to shout at hime but it's SO frustrating.

Fishandjam Tue 20-Aug-13 16:36:39

YY to a special thing to hold/play with, that they only get at nappy change time. My DD is always delighted to be given a hairbrush, for some reason! I always change on a change unit/cupboard top anyway, as doing it on the floor kills my back. So that might be worth doing, as other posters have said, as there's nowhere to crawl to.

Thurlow Tue 20-Aug-13 16:47:57

I am so relieved to hear so many other people did the pinning down too <phew> I hated doing it, but there was a period where no amount of toys or distraction would work, and even holding ankles firmly just ended up with a poo-stained baby hanging upside down... I sat by her feet and put my legs over the top of her arms. She hated it but I think that actually helped her grow out of it, as she soon realised that reading a book or playing with the wipes was more fun than being pinned into place.

Fourbears Tue 20-Aug-13 16:56:21

Put him in an empty bath? He can't get far and any spillage is much easier to clean up! I wish I'd thought of this earlier!

DfanjoUnchained Tue 20-Aug-13 16:59:53

Yes, I chucked mine in the bath this morning as I was too tired to deal with the struggling

hawkeye21 Wed 21-Aug-13 10:08:02

Mine was like that. Distraction or helping techniques didn't work for more than a couple of days, and my firm voice was ignored. It got very stressful for both of us. I ended up getting a changing mat with straps. She actually liked being strapped in, and once the straps were on she was contained and the nappy change was easy.

When she got older we went for the standing up nappy change and that worked well.

DfanjoUnchained Wed 21-Aug-13 10:14:29

Didnt know they made them with straps! Great idea

hawkeye21 Wed 21-Aug-13 10:40:58

It was a bit of a struggle to find one, but I got it online from a company called 2became4. It saved my sanity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now