Why did DS's new HT ask us

(17 Posts)
thewarmestowl Fri 16-Aug-13 17:21:22

at out new parent interview today what age he was when he first walked and first spoke (and note the answers on his file)? He's 5, developmentally seems normal (and had a comprehensive medical as part of the admissions process), surely this is irrelevant now? FWIW he was an average-aged walker and early ish talker, I'm just curious!

No idea! How strange. Could you even remember?

thewarmestowl Fri 16-Aug-13 17:30:17

I could remember when he walked, but not really when he talked. I then had a bit of a debate with my husband about it, we disagreed onwhen he said his first word and tried to remember back to family events to determine when he spoke properly / in sentences (he's not our only DC). She looked vaguely horrified that we had no real idea!

It's irrelevant anyway, unless someone comes along and tells us exactly why.

My DS was a very late talker (3+), although his speech caught up very rapidly and his vocabulary and reading exceeded his peers by the time he was 7.

He was diagnosed with ASD when he was 11. One of the signs they look out for is delayed speech.

FranSanDisco Fri 16-Aug-13 17:52:28

Is his speech clear to strangers? How are his gross motor skills/spatial awareness? If you think he's developmentally fine then I have no idea why HT enquired. The school I work in does an S&L assessment for all children to flag up any areas to improve upon.

thewarmestowl Fri 16-Aug-13 17:57:01

His speech is completely clear (and has been since about 2.5), and his motor skills/ spatial awareness seem fine / normal to me. I saw his medical report and it confirmed that all of these things were fine, and to be honest the HT hadn't met him before today so I don't think she was asking specifically because of any concerns about him, it more seemed like something which they routinely asked about new pupils. married, maybe that's it and they are just trying to be in the ball about potential issues?

LizzyDay Fri 16-Aug-13 18:00:03

Possibly just something they keep on record for all children in case they notice anything of concern?

I'm not an expert, but I believe that particularly early or late walking or talking can be associated with ASD, and probably some other conditions that they need to look out for.

The timings aren't 'proof' of anything by themselves, could just be evidence to add to a possible list of red flags should they need to.

Definitely the case. I wish his HT had been as diligent.
6 years in a single form entry primary school failed to spot what took his secondary school SENCO just 6 weeks hmm

Fuzzymum1 Fri 16-Aug-13 21:21:14

DS2 had a few words soon after 6 months but didn't walk until 19.5 months - I wish I had known then how unusual that was - it took until he was 8 to get a diagnosis of Asperger's.

thewarmestowl Fri 16-Aug-13 21:54:49

So sorry for those of you for whom issues have been missed - I didn't appreciate that the age at which a child walked / spoke could still be educationally relevant at aged 5, now I know why. Answers much appreciated, will feel grateful for diligent HT rather than confused.

Pizzahutlover Fri 16-Aug-13 22:15:18

marriednotdead just want to ask was your child not talking at all till 3 years or was their some speech their

He had a handful of words, mum, dad, ta etc. but obviously understood us as he could follow simple instructions e.g. go get your shoes and found slapstick humour like the Teletubbies hilarious.

Then about 2+ he started speaking babbled sentences in an incomprehensible language- he'd approach you, reel off a string of sounds that were structured like a sentence and look enquiringly at you for a response. If you said 'pardon?' he'd repeat the same sounds. My friend reckoned he was speaking Pingu!

Suddenly a few months later he switched to English but in sentences, not just single words. He'd also make up his own words for things. Apparently his dad did the same thing. He hasn't been formally diagnosed but my genetic blood test came back negative and in a CAMHS meeting with all three of us, it dawned on me that it was like watching separated twins. His DSIS also has an autistic DS.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 16-Aug-13 23:05:53

Both my dds were "late" to walk. dd2 has some core balance issues (identified during routine screen in reception). I had never even heard of this issue.

WeeLors Sat 17-Aug-13 11:38:16

married - my 3.5yr old does that babbled sentence thing sometimes too (he also speaks properly, just depends what he's saying). It does sound like Pingu language sometimes with a few recognisable words in each sentence. He has a great vocabulary though, just doesn't always construct it properly. He's currently being assessed by SALT for his understanding as he quite often doesn't seem to understand questions/direction. He also didn't walk til he was 2yr 4mth but has very hypermobile ankles so its always been put down to that.

I'm certain he's got a bit of a cognitive developmental delay (hence why I got him referred to SALT) but also wonder if he's slightly on the spectrum cos he sounds very similar to your DS. Hows your DS socially/emotionally? Mine is fine, loves playing with other kids etc, so ASD was never really something I considered. I guess time will tell as he gets older

P.s. sorry to hijack there thewarmestowl

Yes, apologies for hijack.

He always struggled to mix socially, was never one of the 'popular kids' (his words @ aged 10) and was often teased as others knew he was easy to wind up. Aware that he didn't quite fit but never sure why which was heartbreaking sad

Affectionate to me and close family members, less so with others. It takes him a while to get used to new people. A bit socially awkward, but not more than a typically shy child might be.

ASD flagged and subsequently diagnosed when the transition to secondary took him so far out of his comfort zone that he became suicidal sad
CAMHS were brilliant and he settled within a couple of months.

Has taken until this year to finally acquire a mixed sex group of friends that accept him as he is. He told them recently that he had ASD and most of them were surprised.

The fact that he has shot up to 6ft and is rather handsome is not entirely problematic although he is bemused by all the female attention smile
He still has 'Kevin the teenager' moments but so do most hormonal 16 year olds!

WeeLors Sun 18-Aug-13 19:55:17

He sounds like a lovely boy married, his ASD seems not to have held him back any now that he has the support he needs.

Hmmmm, I suppose you could describe my DS as slightly socially awkward too but only with adults he doesn't know. Fine with other kids although that may change as he gets older and its more about conversation than just running about playing. I think the adults thing though is because grown-ups always seem to ask him loads of questions and he can never answer them so tries not to engage in conversation in the first place.

I'll keep an eye on him but if he is on the spectrum I don't think he's very far along it IYKWIM. Hopefully if he is displaying signs of ASD it'll be picked up by SALT during his assessments

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now