Sitting up

(16 Posts)
stopgap Sun 18-Aug-13 05:19:29

I'm not sure tummy time is a factor. My DS had silent reflux, so tummy time was not really an option, but he still sat up unaided at 4.5 months (didn't bum-shuffle until 11 months, however, and only walked at 16 months).

Zzzzmarchhare Sat 17-Aug-13 08:10:35

My DS didn't sit up till 7.5 months. He was crawling before sitting. If we propped him in a sitting position he would just crawl off. He learnt to pull up to standing and sit upright at the same time. His cousin crawled before sitting too. I think he wanted to crawl so put his efforts into trying but couldn't see the point of sitting still. He is 18months now and a very good steady walker/runner and is never still.

Dackyduddles Fri 16-Aug-13 17:31:18

I've been so worried she would get stood on by other dd maybe I've restricted her without realising. Something to work on.... Cheers

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 16-Aug-13 13:53:35

Not even realised. My dd has a bimbo she can use, "mummy could you just wipe my bum", "mummy van you just feed me" grin

MrsOakenshield Fri 16-Aug-13 12:39:48

PMSL at 'does she have a bimbo she could use'. Sorry, not helpful, but it did make my giggle!

snowqueenrollo Fri 16-Aug-13 12:37:38

we see a Consultant for my son's foot condition and i take him to an osteopath too. Tummy time has been difficult because of the apparatus ds had to wear daily. The osteo and Cons both said it's important to develop their core muscles and upper back strength, and to do it as much as/soon as possible.
Bumbo's/chairs are a huge no-no as they encourage development of all the wrong muscles for adequate balance.

My ds is 7 months and sitting (though still a bit wobbly) and my osteo is sure it's because we have held DS on our knee so much (with the casts/boots and bar it is the comfiest way to hold him)

honeytea Fri 16-Aug-13 12:31:12

I was told that ds sat early because I held him on my knee lots of the time ( because he hated tummy time) I moved my hands lower and lower on his torso each week until I could just rest my hands on his thighs. Fromvtgen on he could sit. I thought tummy time was important to help them get into a sitting position by themselves but actual sitting is lots to do with balance so tummy time wasn't that helpful.

leobear Fri 16-Aug-13 10:48:33

Agree with picnic pie - I would keep her out of chairs. She needs to be rolling etc to strengthen her core muscles. I would always put her down on her tummy, and let her roll around as she wishes.

PicnicPie Fri 16-Aug-13 09:55:08

Try more tummy time to strengthen neck and back muscles. Have you got a play pen or a safe area that you can put DD2 whilst DD1 is on the move?

My Nephew is 12 months olds and seeing a physio because of lack of movement/ development and they keep harping on about tummy time.

I don't think chairs are helpful until they can support their backs themselves IMO.

leobear Fri 16-Aug-13 09:27:31

My DD1 sat from 6 months exactly, DD2 7.5 months. She's still a bit wobbly, coming up to 8 months.

Dackyduddles Fri 16-Aug-13 08:55:09

Hmm ill book for dd to be 8 mths maybe. Gives her a bit more time. I'm probs ott. I'd just feel she was safer if could sit I spose.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 16-Aug-13 08:35:38

It is hard not to compare though isn't it. Does she have a bimbo you could use? If the HV is barking and you are concerned, which you must be to post on here, I'd make an appointment with the GP, just to get her checked smile

Dackyduddles Fri 16-Aug-13 08:23:05

Our hv is barking. sad we avoid.

Good to hear. I'm not generally bothered by dd otherwise. Shouldn't compare sisters really. Just want others as google frightening!

Useful thank you

riksti Fri 16-Aug-13 08:06:56

Mine army-crawled before sitting. Started crawling about 7.5m and sat up at 8 months

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 16-Aug-13 08:02:47

Don't know on this one sorry. Have you spoken to your HV?

Dackyduddles Fri 16-Aug-13 08:00:08

Please help.

What age bracket should this occur in? Dd1 sat up at 6mths. Dd2 isn't. She's 7mths. She's bright alert rolling and not otherwise worrying me.

Asking as dd1 charges about which makes tummy etc time very hard. I'm unsure when to worry. Chairs/jumperoo etc are also used.

Nobody gets to five unable too if not physically unable do they?!? I don't want to compare but tough as frankly would be very useful if she sat properly than this.....

Anyone crawled/walked before sitting? Argh....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now