5 year old leaving it too late for the toilet -suggestions to resolve

(4 Posts)
EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sat 17-Aug-13 19:49:40

My 5yo dd went through this stage for a few weeks. It drove me potty!

Basically, i just kept asking her every half hour - "do you need a pee?"

She would insist 'no', but on the occasions I could tell she did need one, I'd tell her she must go and try. I'd then go with her to the toilet, and surely enough she'd wee. Apparently, she just didn't seem to get the same urge as other children (or maybe didn''t recognise it?)

She also does a little hop or side step when she needs to go. On these occasions, I take her to 'try' because she still insists she doesn't need one even though I can tell she's bursting.

Not had any accidents in a while, and she will take herself to the loo again. But only when she's absolutely bursting. Whereas most other people go as soon as they feel the need.

My advice is to just keep asking and taking them to try quite often.

BeaLola Sat 17-Aug-13 19:41:18

Please help Lozza70 and me PLEASE

Lozza70 Tue 13-Aug-13 20:16:48

Watching as we have the same problem here. When I suggest he should go he always says 'I don't need to' but he usually does. I have started to insist he goes when I say. The frustrating thing is he has never had a accident at night, ever!

BeaLola Tue 13-Aug-13 20:11:24

DS has quite a few accidents during the daytime. If he is engrossed or enjoying a task at school or a day out he will forget to go or leave it so late that by the time you find the nearest toilet it is too late.

I do remind him to go before we leave home and at regular times if we are out together I suggest using the toilet & even when he says "No Mummy I don't need to" I often say well Mummy does so come with me and then he invariably needs to use it or has already had accident.

Any suggestions please- is it just a phase -will he grow out of it ?

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now