What next after sippy cup

(11 Posts)
Mehrida Mon 12-Aug-13 07:52:24

DS started properly taking his sippy cup at about 12m. He's now nearly 15m and it's just not doing it for him any more. He's having to work pretty hard to get his drinks out so I think he's ready for the next stage.

Just wondered what everyone recommends. HV seemed to think non-spill was the work of the devil but I'm tired of cleaning up milk from wherever he's launched it to!

Any suggestions? Thanks smile

open cup, sports cup, cup with straw?

Mehrida Mon 12-Aug-13 08:09:52

I think he'd manage an open cup to drink from, but when he's finished he just chucks it away (I'm working on that!)

There are so many types of other cup out there, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions of what worked...

itsonlysubterfuge Mon 12-Aug-13 08:33:34

You can take the rubber bit out of the sippy cup, it doesn't leak as fast that way, but the liquid will come out more quickly.

what sort of cup do you have at the moment? Mine used the avent magic cups at that age

Mehrida Mon 12-Aug-13 12:52:49

It's just the Tommee Tippee first sippy cup. There's no rubber bit in it, just a wee fold down spout-thingy.

itsonlysubterfuge Mon 12-Aug-13 15:21:08

Maybe you could try something like this. With the circle part on rather than the litttle spout? It's mostly sealed, but has little spaces where the liquid can escape so if the cup gets thrown on the floor the mess wouldn't be so bad? We use the sippy cup with the little spout part, but just remove the rubber insert on the inside that causes the suction. The water is free flowing and she can get as much as she wants, but when she knocks it over throws it on the floor we can pick it up quickly with minimal spilling.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B5339DG/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=baby - should be fine for your ds's age even though it says from 18months. There is a 12months option too

tommee tippee also do cups for older babies/toddlers - have a look in the supermarkets

fififrog Mon 12-Aug-13 20:42:30

Our Dd has basically always had water in a normal cup but we still use those tommy tippee first sippy cups for milk because she's not generally sat at a table when she drinks milk and prone to knocking cups over. For out and about and in bed she has the tommy tippee active range, we've had the "sporty" and the "sippy" both genuinely don't leak as long as screwed on properly. Nuby cup with straw leaks badly though. Wouldn't recommend those - we've had 3 and they all leaked. TBH though I wouldn't use any of those with milk as they're just too fiddly to clean (and we don't have a dishwasher). She is now 2.4 and literally yesterday started intimating that she wanted an open cup - in which case milk will now be in a normal cup too and we'll just have to be careful!

StarlightShiningBright Mon 12-Aug-13 21:12:02

We use the sistema sports bottle during the day.

We also have a tommee tippee non spill beaker (a large one). We just took the valve out of it to make it free flowing. I just had a look for it but seems they don't make that particular one anymore.

Whatever you use, if it has a valve, take it out. Bloody nightmare to clean otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now