Potty training-when do you give up?

(7 Posts)
sarahloula Tue 30-Jul-13 08:02:17

My dd was 2 in April and has not shown much interest in the potty. Out of the blue yesterday she said "wee wee in potty" and went successfully to the potty twice but since then has lost interest and weed in her nappy. I keep asking her and her potty is in the room as a visual reminder. We go on holiday on Friday so I'm tempted to leve it until we go back and then go cold turkey and lose the nappies but don't know whether I should persevere as she's shown some interest. She has two stickers on her reward chart but doesn't seem overly bothered about adding any more.

BartBaby Tue 30-Jul-13 08:42:36

My ds was past his 3rd birthday before we started. I know they say that boys ususlly learn later though. I personally would wait until after the holiday, and then give it another go and see how she does. I wouldnt like having to sort out accidents on a plane journey or long car journey or on trips out having to take lots of spare clothes just incase. And the change in routine might confuse her anyway. Having said that it is totally up to you. Maybe see how she does until you go on friday and if she shows any more interest and then decide smile

Or maybe try pull up pants? That way if she asks to go she can do easily. And if she forgets to ask it doesnt matter so much. I found pull up pants more convenient on holiday anyway as they can be easier to change than a nappy (finding space to lay them down in plane toilets or train toilets etc can be tricky)

LeBFG Tue 30-Jul-13 09:35:17

They say potty training should go quickly i.e. nappies off and dry within a couple of days.

I regret encouraging potty training too soon now as DS loves being nappy-free and really LOVES watching himself pee - all over the floor, on the steps, on the gravel in the garage...been doing this for what seems like months now hmm.

He's just started getting poos in potty and taking nappies off for wees so it finally looks like he might get properly potty trained. I just curse all those hours of cleaning wee and poo off the floor.

What other signs of readiness are there? She is not too young but I'd be looking for some other signs or wait a couple of months, maybe use pull-ups so she gets used to the dressing aspect of it.

What kind of holiday in Turkey? If a private villa I'd be tempted to take a travel potty to have around the house/pool (just there, no pressure on DD), but in a hotel/complex that wouldn't be a lot of fun. In which case I would wait til you get back. In the meantime you could try getting her to do a wee in the toilet when you go (put her in pull ups if you aren't already).

LeBFG is right, trying to soon just makes life a misery for all involved, but especially for the one who has to clean up!

You don't have to do it all at once. Encourage her to keep using the potty occasionally (e.g. before bath or during nappy free time), maybe get pull ups so she can easily do the occasional wee. But look at this as a sort of pre-potty training phase. When you have a bit of time and she has got the general idea then go cold turkey, ditch all the nappies / pull ups and go for it properly. In my experience once you go for that stage it takes 3 or 4 days. The more general understanding of using the potty and occasional wees that they have prior to full on potty training then the easier the whole experience is when you go for it full on.

sarahloula Tue 30-Jul-13 18:37:35

Thank you everyone. I have bought some pull ups and whilst we're away she can go on the potty but if she forgets it won't matter and will go cold turkey when we get back. I'm back at work full time in Sept so would like to crack it before then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now