what puzzles are your DC doing at 2 and half years

(14 Posts)
duchesse Tue 30-Jul-13 09:41:50

At 2.4 DD was doing 24 piece ones and one 36 piece with a little help. She is my fourth child and among the four there is a huge range of puzzle ability- DS wasn't interested in the slightest in them and I'm not sure he was even doing 4 piece ones at that age.

I agree that there is a huge range - DS1 was completing 20 - 40 piece puzzles at 18 months and he still loves that type of thing at 9. DS2 just wasn't interested and still isn't!

bruffin Tue 30-Jul-13 09:28:34

DD 15 was doing 50+ at 2.4, but there is a story behind it. She burnt her hand badly and needed a skin graft so was bandaged up and unable to use her hand for a few weeks. In that time she got an obsession for puzzles and went from doing 2 piece ones to 50+ ( the little 5 yrs + ones) . I was raiding the charity shops for them as they are not cheap. She then lost interest and hardly did them after that.

VinegarDrinker Tue 30-Jul-13 09:17:48

Totally agree it depends if they are interested. DS is 2y5m and has always loved puzzles. So it stands to reason he's got fairly good at them!

ihearttc Tue 30-Jul-13 09:15:10

DS2 is 2.5 and can do the wooden slot in puzzles if that makes sense...and 2/3 piece ones but nothing else harder than that.

Im actually really surprised he can even do them because sitting still for longer than 30 seconds is really not his thing...he would much rather be on his balance bike,scooter or running around with a football but for some reason small puzzles do hold his attention.

LeBFG Tue 30-Jul-13 08:47:29

Am in all of DC who are doing 20+ piece puzzles. I'm really surprised at the range. DS is part of a study and at 3 will have to do various challenges of this sort. I was just curious as to where he stood. Thanks for the replies.

Goldenbear Mon 29-Jul-13 22:03:28

My DD is 2.4 and has only recently started to ask to do puzzles. Now the interest is there she can do two piece ones and is getting there with 4-6 piece puzzles. I was a bit surprised at the slow progress with the puzzles because my son who is now 6 loved puzzles and was completing 24 piece puzzles without help at this age. In my DD's case though her strengths lie elsewhere- she is very physical and is very competent and fearless when it comes to physical activity. For instance, she taught herself to seat drop on a bouncy castle at about 20 months. My DS on the other hand was/ is very cautious and would never have contemplated doing something like that.

NumTumDeDum Mon 29-Jul-13 21:50:20

Rubiks cube I am lying

Two piece puzzles, the wooden cut outs and vaguely stabbing at doing 4 piece puzzles. But as mentioned above depends if they are that way inclined. Dd learned to speak early and soon decided this was what she wanted to do most so puzzles were of interest only inasmuch as they were something to talk about. Whereas her cousin could do much more complex puzzles but barely spoke.

ChippingInHopHopHop Mon 29-Jul-13 21:45:07

Tipping them all out on the floor and giggling hysterically.

Not his thing at all grin

DIYandEatCake Mon 29-Jul-13 21:43:53

Dd is 2.4 too and is really not interested in jigsaws, she can just about do 2 piece ones but gets bored v quickly. Her friend who is 2.1 has been able to do 24 piece ones by herself with no help for several months. I think both are pretty normal!

ShowOfHands Mon 29-Jul-13 13:18:59

It's probably not worth comparing as the range is vast and personality/interest levels will have an effect too. For example, dd at 2.5 could probably do a 24 piece puzzle easily as she was that way inclined. DS is 2 in September and can do a 6 piece puzzle but would really rather not. No way will he be bothering to develop it as a skill just yet. He's better with lego and tools and climbing things he shouldn't.

lljkk Mon 29-Jul-13 13:12:49

Huge range, at 2.5yo 2 of mine could probably manage up to 30 pieces, the other one up to 12 pieces, child 4 couldn't manage 12 pieces until he was past 4yo.

lizardqueenie Mon 29-Jul-13 12:34:36

Think my dd was similar at your DC'a age- she's now 2.8 and we recently bought her a box of puzzles that had about 4 puzzles in with varying sizes/ numbers of peices & show her how to work them out. They were pepper pig ones so we say look for peppas face, now where's her dress etc and he now knows that part of solving it is looking at which picture fits in with what rather than just the shapes. hope that helps. smile

LeBFG Mon 29-Jul-13 12:21:46

My DS is 2.4yo and is just starting to get the hang of the animal in shapes type of puzzle. He fits them in by first fitting a paw or a tail whereas he was just randomly plugging away at the shapes. He doesn't yet do what we do: look at the whole shape and fit it in. He'll do 2-piece puzzles if the colours are obvious and the fit is easy but can't do 3- or 4-piece ones. He's figured out shape-sorters now (wasn't doing it at 2y checkup).

What are yours doing? I'm just interested in the range at this age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now