Obsession with nether regions

(7 Posts)
Medal Tue 23-Jul-13 12:06:04

My DDs aged 2 and 4 are obsessed with their bits (and other people's) at the moment. I assume (hope!) this is totally normal and we are trying not to react as I know this would make them worse. Yesterday they were spraying hosepipe water straight at each others sensitive areas (not being coy, just don't want to get into the correct terminology here!) and giggling hysterically. Again I tried to ignore - but is this right? How should I be dealing with this and general curiosity about willys and so on, in particular avoiding embarassing incidents in public?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 23-Jul-13 13:33:39

Adopt a cheerful nothing-fazes-me attitude and hope everyone around is used to wildly embarrassing remarks uttered in delightfully clear piercing tones. Hilariously by 9 or 10 you'll urge them "Speak up! Don't mumble!"

Out in public remind them if necessary we all stay covered up and don't touch but the best thing is keep an eye on them and distract. Counting games and colours aren't as thrilling as who has what and what goes where admittedly.

It's a phase they go through. smile

Medal Tue 23-Jul-13 14:25:43

Thanks Donkeys, that's helpful. It has just come out of nowhere with them, none of their friends have triggered it off that I know of. Hopefully this phase won't last too long!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 23-Jul-13 14:34:45

It is a rite of passage and funny when it's not your DC.

Tot solemnly declaring "I have a 'gina but he-" points at random male - "Has a PENIS!" in the shopping arcade. Little voice carrying for metres, mother weakly admonishes, "Don't point, Cassandra".

Wait until they debate sizes for extra mortification.

giddywithglee Tue 23-Jul-13 14:36:28

Slight hijack, but my 2 y/o has discovered his willy since potty training and plays with it <quite a lot>. Interested to hear how other parents have dealt with this - I don't want him to think it's wrong, but it is slightly unnerving!

fairylightsinthespring Tue 23-Jul-13 18:16:18

giddy my DS is nearly 4 and spent about a year with his hand down his pants age 2-3. He has mostly stopped now, though will play with it after his bath when he is sitting in a towel. We just would say, "hand out of your pants" every time. NO need to get into long discussions. He has just discovered toilet humour, everything is "poo", so we are starting to discuss manners and rudeness now. I think at 2, you just say "no".

MrsMummyP Tue 23-Jul-13 18:53:47

Haven't been through this yet, but they can sense embarrassment: crappypictures.com/penis-pizza/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now