gettin 17 month old off bottle

(5 Posts)
leeanne6385 Sun 21-Jul-13 15:26:22

hi my 17 month old daughter is realy stubborn and only drinks out a baby bottle iv tried all sorts of big kids cups with spouts handles straws and fruit shoots bit she just spills them on to dloor or gets herself soakin wet with them she will keep screaning and refuse to drink out anythin but this one baby bttle i feel bad as it boiling hot and dont want her to dehydrate

Carly3869 Sun 21-Jul-13 16:18:25

I was exactly the same and bought loads of beakers and cups, nothing work until I tried a vital baby toddler straw cup. As soon as I gave it to him, he didn't have another bottle with a teat. It was good because he had the straw in the day for drink upright then for naps no straw so it was just like a bottle for him. And they don't really leak! It has a hard spout covered in silicon. Worth a try! Good luck, bless them, some really love their bottles!

FaddyPeony Mon 22-Jul-13 23:21:04

I've no experience with this but I DO know what it's like to try to get a stubborn 17-month old to change her mind about something - the more you battle the more they dig in their heels, eh? I would just let her keep doing what she's doing for now. How about if you just back off completely, let her drink from the bottle, and then just casually leave the other vessels (full of water) dotted around the place within her reach? Once the spotlight is off her she might just pick them up on her own and have a go...?

I know of plenty of children who would only drink from bottles for much longer than 17months. It's not worth a battle right now in this heat.

DS is 16mo and the same with sippy cups, they just get poured on the floor. So watching for hints!

MiaSparrow Tue 23-Jul-13 07:50:10

I think you're just going to have to go through the spilling/wetting stage otherwise she'll never learn. They do get it eventually! She won't dehydrate - if she's thirsty, she'll drink.

DD was still on a bottle at night time though at this age - why not keep that for now so there's a distinction and it's still a lovely comforting bedtime thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now