2 year old goes mad when I try to give her a bath - any advice?

(28 Posts)
inadreamworld Sat 20-Jul-13 17:26:24

My 2 year old DD HATES having a bath and spends the whole time screaming and upset, trying to get out of the bath. She was OK until she was about a year old, then started to cry a bit once when she got some shampoo in her eyes, but for the last few months she has just gone ballistic every time.

I have bought special no tears shampoo, a special eye sheild so the water doesn't get in her eyes - but she struggles so much that the water ends up getting on her face anyway. I have got bath toys - nothing works - any advice, will she grow out of this?? I took her swimming when she was about a year old and she was OKish - haven't taken her since.

inadreamworld Tue 23-Jul-13 08:19:21

Sweep - thanks - will look in to that - DD loves bubbles!!

MoelFammau Tue 23-Jul-13 17:56:48

DD was the same. Loved it til.. 20 months I think. Then had a freak out about hair washing and would fight to get out of the bath. So I stopped giving her baths and scrubbed her with a flannel on the bath mat for a few months. Now she's fine with baths.

Take the fear away. I think they get into a looped panic where the real reason of the fear gets lost over time. So break that and start afresh, I reckon. Worked for me, anyway.

babySophieRose Wed 24-Jul-13 09:20:44

My DD does not want to go in the bath if there is even a little water in it. So we do not fill the bath anymore, just leave the taps running and wash her. She likes it as she plays filling some caps with water and splashing it around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now