Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Cot to bed help!

(14 Posts)
ileypie Sun 14-Jul-13 21:20:08

How on earth do I get my 21 month old to sleep in his bed?! He was a brilliant sleeper until a week ago when he started to scream when I put him in his cot and successfully climbed out several times! So i caved and took the sides off of his cot now though as soon as I leave the room he climbs out of bed and runs out then sees me and runs back to bed its just a game to him.He used to sleep 7-7 without fail now I'm lucky if he's asleep by 10, every night gets worse not better.

I've tried laying with him, standing at the door which had some success until tonight he just get ramming it into me and of course I make no eye contact or speak and put him straight back into bed but he just laughs and can go on playing this game for hours!

I seriously want him back in his cot but its just to risky now. Please somebody help I'm not the most patient person and this is really getting to me.

lizandlulu Sun 14-Jul-13 21:46:24

I have no advice, but I have a 24 month old and am anticipating this problem in the next few months so want to see what advice you get

What about bed guard? Would he just climb straight over that?

Would you consider sitting eith him till he goes to sleep or is that opening a whole other can of worms?

lizandlulu Sun 14-Jul-13 21:46:49

Oh just read you have tried laying with him, sorry

Nevercan Sun 14-Jul-13 21:48:06

With dd2 2 I put a stair gate on her bedroom door. We do the bedtime routine and then tuck her in and said goodnight. She did get out the first few days but when she realised it was night time and no-one was coming back up the stairs she put herself back into bed. We did go and check on her after about 20 mins and did find her snoozing on the carpet a couple of times but popped her back into bed. After a few nights she stayed in bed and all has been good since grin

FunnysInLaJardin Sun 14-Jul-13 21:50:55

we used to sit outside our DS2's bedroom with a G&T and the computer and wait for him to come out, then he would be put back in bed. Much less tiring than up and downstairs all night. It took a good few nights and we took it in turns, but he did get the message. He would have been about 2 and a climber so no choice but to put him in his bed

ileypie Sun 14-Jul-13 21:52:59

I've put a stair gate across door but he just stands and screams at it, it just feels cruel plus he just throws his dummy over it so I'd have to go back up anyway. Just don't know what to do hmmhmm

I sat with ds. It was a few weeks before he got the idea! Didn't want to leave him as he'd scream - that's just too stressful for me!

ileypie Sun 14-Jul-13 22:04:45

When u were sat there was he laughing and thinking it was a game? Thats what really gets to me when he just starts jumping around and laughing and I sit there and ignore it but then he just gets out of bed argh!

coronalover Sun 14-Jul-13 22:22:29

Supernanny back to bed technique was quite successful with my DS around this age. I did end up combining it with a star chart for being good at bedtime and a gro-clock though. Consistency with all 3 won out in the end!

coronalover Sun 14-Jul-13 22:24:34

*supernanny has got a website which details the technique

JosiePosiePuddingAndPie Sun 14-Jul-13 22:38:43

I sometimes trick DS(2) into laying down by telling him I'll bring him what he wants if he's quiet blush it's worked so far. We are 2 weeks in and things are improving slowly, but we've had to put his bedtime back to 7:30-8 as he just won't sleep before then anymore.

ileypie Sun 14-Jul-13 22:39:05

Thanks will check that out.

Kiwiinkits Sun 14-Jul-13 23:00:23

Supernanny technique worked for us

Misty9 Mon 29-Jul-13 19:46:22

How are you getting on with this ileypie ?

Was wondering because we took the side off ds's cotbed today! He's nearly 23mo but has just started screaming the house down at bedtime (prev went down no probs) so we thought we'd try taking the side off.
So far dh has been up there an hour putting him back in...!

I came across this which is helpful, although too late for tonight.

Hope your LO has settled down by now! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now