What do I do with my baby all day?

(22 Posts)
VAVAV00M Thu 11-Jul-13 00:35:10

Get an etch a sketch!
Trust me on this one, they find it magical...

AllegraLilac Wed 10-Jul-13 23:43:20

Bouncy chair is the only way I get a meal in peace atm. Big fan of the bouncy chair.

josiejay Wed 10-Jul-13 11:03:51

He might enjoy sitting in his bouncer chair watching while you do the housework and talk about what you're doing..dull as that sounds.

tobiasfunke Wed 10-Jul-13 10:40:41

I had one like that and he only had one 20 minute nap a day- there was a lot of time to fill. He stayed like that until he was about 18 months (sorry). The jumperoo was my friend for about 15 minutes - have a look on gumtree. The high chair was ok once I found toys that fastened to it and stayed fastened. I let him watch 20 minutes of telly once he was about 6 months just to get a chance to do the washing.
We went on lots of walks or spent a lot of time browsing in Sainsburys.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Wed 10-Jul-13 10:09:09

I will give nap routines another go too.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Wed 10-Jul-13 10:08:06

Great ideas everyone, thank you so much! Am making a list - door bouncers, jumperoos, bumbos, bubbles, washing machine, leaf-watching, toy pianos... DS isn't going to know what's hit him grin

GlitterFingers Wed 10-Jul-13 09:57:08

I also recommend sticking him in front of the washing machine my dd is still obsessed with it at 11 months wink

Florin Wed 10-Jul-13 09:47:45

It's a hard age as they want to do more but can't. We have a Tripp trapp highchair and my son could happily sit in it from 3 months for short periods which gave him an ability to play with a few toys more easily. He has a toy piano that he would happily bash for a while which gave me time to sort the washing etc. we also have a Jumperoo which he used from 3 months which was a god send. I remember the days feeling very long at your child's age. By about 5 months my son was in a regular napping routine with a nap at about 9-10:30 and another about 2-3:30 then bed at 6. I found this split my day up so it didn't feel like such a wide expanse of time and also meant I got time to do jobs and relax. Honestly the older they get and more mobile the easier it gets. My son has just turned a year and it is much easier as he just messes around with his toys and I just keep an eye that he doesn't do anything dangerous.
I also found life easier when he started eating (we did blw) as this also split up the day a bit plus he loved his food from the start so was happy to sit in his highchair for about half an hour for each meal trying lots of different foods which filled more time and I could eat happily too!

AWitchOfDirtyHabits Wed 10-Jul-13 09:37:35

my DD's a bit younger, but she happily gives me half an hour in the morning to eat breakfast . I plonk her on her play mat with the TV or radio on and a teether for her to chew.

she also loves 10 mins looking at herself in the mirror!

since its been hot as well, I've taken her jungle swing outside and she's sat in there while I've mumsnetted for an hour. it has to be moving though sad. must get new batteries for it

LIZS Wed 10-Jul-13 09:30:22

yes ours loved lying watching leaves in the breeze overhead !

WandaDoff Wed 10-Jul-13 09:27:32

I was going to suggest in front of the washing machine in a bouncy chair.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 10-Jul-13 09:24:37

A bumbo, obviously ...

AnythingNotEverything Wed 10-Jul-13 08:41:20

He's very nearly ready for the good old game of picking things up and putting them down again. Can he sit yet? Maybe a bimbo would help. Pop him on a mat, sat up, with lots of things of different textures within reach. It's especially good if some of the things fit inside the other things.

My son was entertained by this for up to 30 minutes, as long as he could see me.

noblegiraffe Wed 10-Jul-13 08:35:06

Sit him out in the garden to watch the leaves on the trees while you have an ice cream tell him the names of all the birds.

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Wed 10-Jul-13 08:29:59

I second the recommendation of a door bouncer. My DS is 6.5 months, and has loved his since he was about 5 months old. It keeps him occupied for ages. And he has just started sitting unaided (with the occasional topple over!) and is also much easier to look after now as he is more content to entertain himself.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Tue 09-Jul-13 22:07:40

Thank you so much everyone. BotBoticelli - yes there is most definitely a sense of "gaaahh!!" grin It's really reassuring to read your message; my DS sounds just like yours and am relieved to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel! I will try all the ideas - basically I need to expand my repertoire of stuff that will keep him entertained for 10 minutes at a time.

Not averse to a bit of Baby TV here and there considering he's already been exposed to all the CSIs more than once

BotBotticelli Tue 09-Jul-13 17:04:48

I am feeling the slight undercurrent of 'gaaah!' in your message op!! I posted something very similar when DS1 was 4 months old - will try to dig out the link.

He was/is a very demanding baby - not in a 'high needs, wants to be cuddled all the time' way, but more in a 'needs constant entertainment and stimulation' kind of way.

I found months 5 very hard as DS needed lots of entertainment but was not happy to play on his own at all....in retrospect I think he was not old enough yet.

In case it helps, DS1 got to 6.5 months old, learned to sit up unaided, and suddenly became about 100% easier to look after! Once he could sit up, I could sit him on his playmat, give him a couple of toys to look at (get them out on rotation, 2 or 3 at a time throughout the day, so he doesn;t get bored/overwhelmed by having too few or too many out) and I could take a 10 minute shower and have a poo in peace for the first time since he was born! A complete revelation I can tell you! he is now 7mo and is a complete delight, relatively easy to look after, a happy little boy. I can tell you he was a screechy nightmare at 4mo!

So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

In the meantime, keep doing what you're doing, it sounds great. And take solace from the fact that it is bloody hard work looking after a 'spirited' baby! Could you buy or borrow a door bouncer or jumperoo or similar? I could get 10 mins entertainment out of that for DS at that age? Have you tried taking him swimming? I bought some bubbles from the pound shop and sometimes put on some music I like whilst blowing them over DS's head whilst saying "bubbles!" like some sort of loon went down well hmm

Also, I found (and still do) that in extreme circumstances, 10-15 minutes in front of Baby Tv (Sky Channel 623) doesn't do any harm <<ducks to avoid flaming>>....sometimes it's the only thing that will keep DS happy whilst I unload the shopping/get dressed etc. I try to avoid Nickelodeon or those channels with loads of ads on and stick to Ceebeebies or BabyTv which seem to at least have some vague educational content makes me feel better anyway.

I also reassure myself that my little brother used to watch 3 hours of Pokemon a day as a toddler, and he is now a highly intelligent, well socially adjusted aeronautical engineer....! <<outs self>>

notcitrus Tue 09-Jul-13 16:11:22

Put him on the floor while you do anything that involves you moving around, ie not just sitting.

Go out anywhere, museums, galleries, cafes with friends, and enjoy the fact that he can't crawl yet. Going new places in the buggy seemed to be exciting for mine.

LIZS Tue 09-Jul-13 15:30:59

he will just like to watch you, so keep singing and chatting as you do the chores or put him to watch the washing machine !

confusedofengland Tue 09-Jul-13 15:27:32

Pop him in a bouncy chair while you do what you need to do.

Leviticus Tue 09-Jul-13 15:12:09

You're doing loads! Do you have structured nap times that give you a break? Other than that I can only tell you that it does get easier as they get more independent.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Tue 09-Jul-13 14:59:31

I have a 4.5 month old who likes to be entertained all the time (or maybe they are all like that!) We go to baby groups 2-3 days of the week and to the shops maybe once a week, each of which takes up a couple of hours, but I struggle to know what to do the rest of the time. So far we do:

- walks in the park with him in the sling - he likes this but I can't keep it up all day!
- playing with him on his playmat (he's not keen on playing alone - not sure if I should be encouraging him to?)
- clapping games, singing rhymes to him (he loves this)
- reading books to/with him, peekaboo (he can take or leave this)
- playing music from children's CDs and singing along

This still leaves loads of time in the day. He's not keen on being in the sling unless I am walking somewhere with purpose, ie can't get away with doing housework with him in it grin

Any suggestions? All tips gratefully received!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now