my lo hates pram

(18 Posts)
MyNameIsButterfly Thu 27-Jun-13 12:58:10

Every time I'm trying to put her in the pram her eyes go wide and she seems to hate it. I can't be out more than 30 min before she starts crying and as soon as I pick her up she is smiling and is happy like nothing have happened even though she just had massive crying spree. If I go somewhere I end up carrying her and pushing my pram as well. It's like she is claustrophobic. She is 16 weeks but generally really tall baby and weighs over 16 pounds. Maybe she don't like being in there coz she doesn't have much space? I really don't know. I'm going to go and buy carrier for her but she is really big and I'm tiny so worried about my back. Has anyone got any ideas for me?

tricksybaby200 Thu 27-Jun-13 14:05:16

First Ds was the same. Used the baby Bjorn baby carrier, one with back support. I am quite tall but Ds was huge, and it was fine until around 1. Also used to use the smart trike once he was old enough ( six months I think) which he loved. I also found he'd tolerate the pram if he wasn't tired. He could never fall asleep in the pram, so if he was tired in the pram he'd scream. I found limiting outings outside of nap time meant I could use the pram more. If i was out at naptime id use the carrier as he'd sleep in that or not mind if he was tired as being cuddled. Went onto reigns as soon as he could walk.

Changed pram as well to one he was more upright and sat further forward whe he was one, and he never complained about that one. He's 4 now and getting him to walk is the issue!

SuperDuperTrooper Thu 27-Jun-13 14:17:11

My DS was also like that at around that age. There was a time when I wouldn't stray more than 5 minutes from the house so I could leg it back if he had a meltdown! I too was recommended the babybjorn carrier so gave it a go. He loved it - especially when facing forwards! If I had to be out for longer periods I would put him in his pram and have the babybjorn with us to switch him to when he got grizzly. I would alternate as and when needed. Eventually (although I forget when as he is 18months old now) he decided he liked the pram and the rest, as they say, is history.

OddBodd Thu 27-Jun-13 14:50:00

Both my DS's were like this at that age. DS1 only really started to tolerate the pushchair once he could talk and chatter about where we were going and point things out to us. (sorry not what you want to hear!)

DS2 got better by about 7 months and will tolerate it for about an hour and half now. To be honest I just relied on slings for both of them. I couldn't handle the crying!

explosioninatoyshop Thu 27-Jun-13 18:50:56

Have you tried putting her in pushchair bit as opposed to pram? My LO (3 months) wasn't a fan of being laid down in pram, but likes it now she's sitting up a bit in the pushchair and facing outwards to see what's going on...

chocolatemartini Thu 27-Jun-13 19:43:13

Do go on the sling section before buying there are so many carriers available and I'm sorry to say the most well known ones like baby bjorn are so much worse for your back than something like a Manduca, Boba, Beco, Tula or Ergo. My DS was the same so I carried him until 15 months really comfortably in a Beco Gemini. then I got a Tula toddler carrier which is also fab and I can still carry him for 40 minutes at a time in it now, he's 19 months and huge and I'm 8 weeks pregnant. Babies have been carried since the beginning of humanity, it's no wonder they're not so keen on prams at some stages. Your baby is not being unreasonable wink

tricot39 Thu 27-Jun-13 22:31:35

Lots of similar experiences to my DS who is a cautious chap and didnt like lying back in the pushchair. Got much better when i could prop.him up and he could see out. We had a maclaren. Lots of people are nit keen on them as they cant face their dc. My ds didnt want to look at me! He wanted to see the world! Good luck.

elQuintoConyo Thu 27-Jun-13 22:55:50

My DS the same. He was happier in a sling (Ergo). He didn't like the pushchair, or car seat, until he turned 1.
He's now 18mo and insists on walking. I miss the sling and stroking his head, him holding my fingers I often gaze longingly at other parents with small babies in slings, people think I'm creepy oops

MyNameIsButterfly Sat 29-Jun-13 03:45:04

I think I might try her with the pushchair and see how she is with it but I'm a little bit scared that her back is not strong enough for it. I did some research and decided to buy boba It better be good after paying all that money lol. Thank you ladies for all the good advice. I'll let toy know how I'm getting on with my carrier. It should arrive on Monday or Tuesday xxx

chocolatemartini Sat 29-Jun-13 07:12:27

Hope it goes well with the Boba. They're supposed to be very good.

BotBotticelli Sat 29-Jun-13 08:26:00

Hey OP, just to say my DS was exactly the same at around 3 months old, and that's when I decided to ditch the lay-flat carrycot part of my pram and use the sit-up pushchair attachment instead. He was happier in this for about 2 weeks facing me, and then started kicking of in there as well. So I turned the seat around to face outwards when he was 4 months old, and sat him completely upright, and now he is fine! My gut feeling is that he was bored of lying down like a baby, and bored of looking at boring old mummy! he is very nosy and alert and has been since a few weeks olf, and I think he just wants to look at the world going by.

He also loves being carried in the BabyBjorn facing forwards, although I try not to do this for more than 20 mins at a time cos I dont think it sits him in an optimum position for his hips and he weighs nearly 20lb now at 7 months old and my back is not strong enough!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 29-Jun-13 08:37:17

Can you put the pushchair so that she is still facing you?

MyNameIsButterfly Sat 29-Jun-13 09:06:01

no if I put her into pushchair she is not facing me. I think that might be an issue coz she is super clingy and always wants to see me. She is really curious tho. loves looking around but always has to see me too. x

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 29-Jun-13 09:32:03

I didn't put mine facing out until they were much older, DS was super clingy too. He turned outgo have tongue tie.

I'd look at a rear facing pushchair too, you might be able to get one cheaper on ebay smile

McPrice Sat 29-Jun-13 13:38:24

my ds wasnt keen on the pram as hes quite nosey and always wanted to see whats going on. we stopped using the pram and opted for the carseat buggycombo and the baby bjorn too which he loved.

MyNameIsButterfly Sat 29-Jun-13 20:25:15

Mcprice that's a good idea I got travel system so I can put car seat on the top of the pram and she could sit up a bit more, see me and look around as well. That might be my solution smile smile x

chocolatemartini Sun 30-Jun-13 09:07:55

As long as you never leave them in a car seat for more than 2 hours, they come with warnings telling you not to...

Also read this

There are big concerns about spinal damage too if they are left in a car seat too long especially under 6 months

MyNameIsButterfly Mon 01-Jul-13 17:13:26

chocolate- thank you for the article smile I'll never let her sleep in the car seat at home. I used it first time today to go out for a walk and she was much happier. Was looking around and much more relaxed. I'm usually not out more than 2 hours anyway and I recived my new baby carrier today. I'm intending to use that most of the time when out and about x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now