at the end of my tether..!! ISNT IT MEANT TO GET EASIER...???

(9 Posts)
hippy3 Wed 26-Jun-13 20:32:04

I have not posted on here for AGES. as things had been going really well in the last year, I have twin boys who are now 27 months, they arE a total joy and we adore them. They have Always been such good sleepers. Literally 12 hours straight since they were about 4.5 months.....

HOWEVER for the last four months my one little man has taken to waking repeatedly through the nightl Its our fault a few months ago they were sick and spent some time,over a month in and out of our bed...since then one of them wakes repeatedly through the night.

The weird thing is its not like we cuddle him or anything he just starts off by moaning, then starts crying then gets out of his bed, stands by his door(We have a baby gate on their room) and crys until we go to him. All we do then is literally stand there point at his bed and he goes into his bed and goes back to sleep...so what do u suggest we do? Hes not getting much attention, and I would not mind if this was just the once in the night..its not its like 4/5 times.... its been going on for months and we are all shattered.....
They have a great routine, are really happy in the day eat really well, have had the same routine since birth, hes not sick.... ???? there have been no other changes, apart from his big bed which he loves and this started well before this change. ....

its really starting to affect the family home.Hes also constantly tired at the moment and it makes him really grizzly through the day until he naps, I just dont understand why he is waking.... his brother sleeps thru on the most part, unless he is teething or has had a bad dream.... whats happening...??? Is this normal at this age...? what should we do....??? HELP.

I feel your pain. I have a 4 yr old that still doesn't reliably sleep all the way though. I can totally see why sleep deprevation is used as a form of torture.

It does get better EVENTUALLY smile

I know this is little consolation to you now, just wanted you to know you are not alone!!

I can't remember doing anything specific, all of a sudden it dawned on me that it had been a week and she hadn't woken up, then we'l have a few shit nights, and then a few good ones... Keep going, it changes in the end!

zulubump Wed 26-Jun-13 21:59:51

hippy3 I feel your pain. My ds (3 yrs) had a similar phase fairly recently. He'd been such a good sleeper and I'm not sure how it started, but it was very similar. Ds would get out of bed several times a night and all we would do was to take him straight back to his room with minimal attention. In the end we were so desperately sleep-deprived that we paid a company called Millpond to help us! They were recommended by some friends of ours and they were amazing. We had to keep a sleep diary for about a week and then we had an over the phone consultation analysing everything about ds's sleep and what we did. We then got a plan and regular phone calls to check on progress. Ds was sleeping through within a few days! And the things we had to change were all very subtle, things I wouldn't have thought of.

It cost something over £200 I think. So if you have the money and you really can't think what else to do then I would recommend it. It seems a lot of money, but then you would happily spend that amount to, say, fix you car or boiler or washing machine. And how important is sleep?!

savoirfaire Wed 26-Jun-13 22:29:31

Have you tried cutting back the day time nap a bit? We had something similar at this age with one of ours and a shorter nap helped. Also what about a groclock - he should be around about old enough to 'get it' - or at least work a try.

fififrog Thu 27-Jun-13 21:59:45

I can't really suggest anything that has worked to solve a similar problem, but my DD is the same age and has not been an amazingly reliable sleeper. She's pretty good now but does sometimes wake up and cry but seemingly not want anything. When I say "what's wrong?" she says "yeah" and whimpers a bit and I basically just go back to bed. So kind of similar.

What I do find vaguely helpful though is to talk to her about it. If she's done it a couple of nights in a row I sit her down at bedtime and explain that I'm really tired and I really nee her to try to let me have a good night's sleep and she is usually ok that night. I think she actually does understand a little bit. I also found when she went through a bad phase a few months back of not settling in the evening in the end it was pretty much solved by telling her that we needed to eat/wash up/talk to our visitor or whatever and she'd then be fairly content to go to sleep. She is very good verbally, but even if your wee man isn't you've nothing to lose by asking him nicely! Good luck

tricot39 Thu 27-Jun-13 22:13:30

Not the same age at all but we have had great results with the Gro Clock with our 4 year old who.started waking randomly recently. He said he was scared of the dark so the super bright clock dial reassures him as well as indicating how far through the night he has got. Might be worth a try? Or just a basic night light?

Nightmares? Does he watch much tv?

VinegarDrinker Thu 27-Jun-13 22:18:01

I was going to suggest a Gro-Clock too. In combination with a 2-way baby monitor.

DS is the same age and non-poorly wake ups are now dealt with in our house by mumbling "Is the sun up? No? It's still sleep time" while still 99% asleep, over the monitor without leaving our bed.

We often hear him repeating something similar to himself as well if he wakes up, without bothering us at all.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 27-Jun-13 22:22:07

Reward chart for staying in his bed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now