12 month DD not hitting milestones

(45 Posts)
worrybynature Wed 26-Jun-13 10:39:34

So my DD turned 1 at the beginning of June. She has always been delayed, she couldn't sit confidently unsupported until a few weeks before she was 10 months. She can't crawl, she can roll, certainly can't walk but likes to stand holding my hands. She can't sit up from lying down, doesn't cruise, isn't confident enough to stand cruise or even stand holding onto the sofa. She doesn't point, clap, wave or copy any physical actions. She can copy sounds like sighing and kissing sounds when I do them to her. She as no words at all. She does know who mummy and daddy are and she looks for us if asked where we are. She does babble lots, although usually with the sound 'dadada' or 'nanana' - there is not a lot if variation with the sounds she makes. She doesn't seem to understand much I say to her, and a lot of the time ignores me when I say her name. Does this sound normal?

lougle Sat 29-Jun-13 22:32:14

Worrybynature, I'm normally the first to 'flag' SN I see on MN. I have to say to you, though, that while you should go by your gut instinct, what you see now isn't necessarily a good predictor of the future.

DD1 at 12 months: Several words, pointed, waved, clapped, used to lift her feet up for kisses, etc. Motor skills behind a little, but not much. Thought she'd be walking by 13/14 months.

DD1 at 15 months: Pulling to stand but foot turned out.

DD1 at 17-20 months: Seen by physio for 'neurotic mum syndrome' and discharged at 20 months. Not yet walking.

DD1 at 23 months: Finally started walking. 'Neurotic mum syndrome' confirmed.

DD1 at 2yrs 6 months: Started preschool and 'Neurotic Mum' was nervous of how they would keep her safe.

DD1 at 2yrs 9 months: Flagged by preschool 'immature' and 1:1 given.

DD1 at 4 yrs: Statement arrived.

DD1 at 4 yrs 9 months: Special School.

However, if you saw her at 12 months, none of the 'flags' were raised. I know many 'normal' children who had red flags at 12 months, by contrast.

The best thing you can do is go to your GP/Health Visitor with a list of your concerns and ask to be referred to a Developmental Paediatrician. They will check her over, ask you some questions, and either send you on your way or say 'well...you've got a point.'

worrybynature Sun 30-Jun-13 07:28:43

Thank you all!
Btw what is the consensus- GP or HV? I get the feeling our GPs just want to get people in and out, and almost feel like I might be laughed at for taking her.

Gooseysgirl Sun 30-Jun-13 07:46:45

I think you will find it difficult to relax about this until an assessment has been done so I would go to GP and ask for a referral. My friend was very concerned about her daughter's speech development, and although she eventually started speaking at 2.5 and is ok now, she was very glad she got referred to a speech therapist at the time who reassured her and gave her some strategies.

McFarts Sun 30-Jun-13 08:14:17

I would speak with your GP and like already suggested as for a referral to a developmental pead. Though like other have said i dont see anything in any of your posts that jump out waving a big red flag, other than the fact you are obviously concerned.

I have 3 children and all have SNs to varying degree's.

JoinTheDots Sun 30-Jun-13 09:46:56

I would go GP and pretty much demand a referral.

Take a list with you so you do not forget anything, and tell them from the list all the things that concern you. When presented in this way it is much harder to ignore.

e.g. Hi GP, I am concerned about LittleWorry because she is 1 year old now and still does not:
insert list here
And was late to do the following:
insert list here
So I would really like to be referred to a developmental paed so that if there is an issue with her development, it can be caught early.

If the GP tries to fob you off with the "they all develop at different rates, I am not concerned" say "well I am concerned and I still want the referral" and if it is still a no, then go to your HV and get an appointment with them, they can work with the GP surgery to request a referral for you (or they can in my area).

Good luck with it!

sneezecakesmum Sun 30-Jun-13 11:27:49

I would speak to the HV first. GPs tend to be a bit dismissive unless something is grossly abnormal. Either way just keep pushing.

The delays could be within the normal limits, but maybe she has underlying low tone, which is not a bad thing usually, and children usually catch up.

chocnomore Sun 30-Jun-13 13:21:53

I would go to GP, not the HV.

worrybynature Mon 01-Jul-13 13:53:05

Me again!

Just remembered that DD also constantly twirls her hands at the wrists. Not flapping, just twirling, usually when excited but can be any time. And she also does a v odd face a few times a day that we can her 'silly face' when she scrunches her face almost like she is about to cry, but she doesn't seem to do it because anything is wrong, almost like a tic? Are these autism signs?

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 01-Jul-13 13:57:39

worry not sure, have you managed to get an appointment yet?

worrybynature Mon 01-Jul-13 14:02:35

Not yet, I work full time in a school so not possible to just take time off. May need to wait until the school holidays

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 01-Jul-13 14:10:28

That's a Shane as it could potentially stop off of your worry.

toffeelolly Mon 01-Jul-13 14:29:01

Yes bring her to your gp to put your mind to rest. My ds( he was my first) was such a good baby slept all night from day one. Was worried as he did not have a lot of words by nursery age, said this to his teacher, after 2 months she thought something was not right, he was assessed in nursery and found to be just below borderline , so was coming out as sn. But always thing mother knows best when something might be wrong. And it's best to get her seen to as early as possible .

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 01-Jul-13 14:46:43

Agree with toffee. Does your GP do early or late appointments? Some of the GPS around her offer appointments upto 8pm smile

worrybynature Mon 01-Jul-13 14:55:49

Ours is rubbish and just does same day appointments, ie you call in the morning and get an appointment that day. I will take her, I just need to find time

MissStrawberry Mon 01-Jul-13 16:05:57

My dd was late for lots of things - all physical.
My ds1 used to sit and twirl his wrists when excited, as his dad had when he was a baby. Both are totally fine.

I think you have to go on your instincts. I knew there as something wrong with my dd when she was a couple of weeks old. I just didn't know what!

If you have confidence in your HV then maybe start with her but if not go straight to your GP and voice your concerns.

Bouncey Mon 01-Jul-13 20:53:00

Hi there. My daughter was quite similar to yours - didn't sit unsupported until 10 months, crawled at 13 months, pulled up at 16 months, walking by 17 months. She had no words (although lots of babble) when she was a year, and at 18 months only has 4 words - although clearly understands lots and is trying to say things.

I found both HV and GP very helpful. At the one year check, the HV said dd was behind on her gross motor milestones but on track with everything else, and dr referred her to have her hips checked (all fine). The point the health professsionals made in our case is that not crawling isn't regarded as much of an issue, but not standing, or putting weight on their feet is regarded as more of a red flag - and that doesn't apply in your case. It did in ours, but turned out to be a false alarm. All the other things you mention about talking / pointing etc sound well within the range of normal at 12 months.

Paribus Mon 01-Jul-13 23:42:59

I would go to the GP/HV as soon as possible- and I am sorry I do not agree with the "all kids develop differently" approach. I think health professionals should really pay more attention to what parents are telling them and if parents wirrry, then take their worries seriously.

MiaowTheCat Tue 02-Jul-13 12:23:38

I find with DD1 (who did have a slight delay to start with because of being prem) that she seems to do milestones almost as if she's got the chart in front of her but can only deal with one column of it at a time - so her language will fly up for a while, and then she'll suddenly flip and do a fair few motorskills developments (she went from immobile through rolling to crawling and cruising within about a month and a half) and then she'll flip back again and leave you dangling waiting for the next motor milestone. Doesn't ever stop me worrying (she's still slightly behind but the gap's narrowed quite drastically so I've got no reason to be concerned really as she IS catching up fast) - but knowing that's how things work with her helps a bit knowing where she's likely to go next.

With the GP/HV thing - I think it depends on your area (and GP practice). Round here it seems very much to be the health visitors with the better access to do referrals or get telephone advice from the experts and the GPs will just bounce you back to them.

MiaowTheCat Tue 02-Jul-13 12:24:46

I get the being stuck in school issue with doctors' appointments btw - could you request a phonecall from the docs to ask the best way about pushing through a referral in case it IS a health visitor jobbie where you are - at least then you're not waiting ages for a GP appointment in order to be told to go elsewhere and ask there,

worrybynature Tue 02-Jul-13 13:13:09

Good idea miaw will do that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now