Exhausted by constant tantrums

(8 Posts)
aqualung Wed 12-Jun-13 14:28:09

My 4 year old is one of four - two sisters (11 and 18) and a brother (20). In most ways he's great - makes friends easily, bright, funny, full of energy, sleeps well, eats well. However since Xmas he has been having at least one tantrum a day though never at preschool where he's popular and well behaved.

They are often over the most trivial things like a DVD not playing, though sometimes because he is not allowed to do something. He will hit, throw things, slam doors and sometimes even scratch himself. I usually put him out of the room to calm down but sometimes I can hear him throwing things and get concerned for his safety. He always calms down and comes to say sorry and hug, often exhausted. We are at our wits end and don't know how else to manage these moments. None of the other kids behaved this way. Advice much welcome.

Bambi27 Wed 12-Jun-13 17:39:51

Hi didn't want to read and run but not sure i can help! We have a 2 year old who is also having horrible tantrums that can last hours sad it's really not fun!! I know she's two and therefore it's 'expected' but I just thought I'd send you a hug and say I know how you feel!! Exhausted!! Xx

Argent Wed 12-Jun-13 19:20:48

Wish I had answer, I am In the same boat. She is either lovely or hideous. I noticed it escalating after she was sick for a week - thought it was a bug and she felt terrible but now it's everyday and she's fine. We also got rid of her dummy recently - though it was only ever used at night anyway. Has yours begun after some issue?

iliketea Wed 12-Jun-13 19:29:40

Adding support - but no answers here either. Dd is the same, some days I'm surprise she's not hoarse with the screaming. And the slightest thing sets it off. I'm hoping it's related to some big developmental spurt and her brain neurons are working more than usual.

Fingers crossed it's "just a phase" and it'll stop one day.

I came on here hoping for help. Seems like solidarity will have to do!

My name is babies & my 3 1/2 year old is driving g me mad. Actually, clinically insane. Seriously.

I came looking for help too! My dts is so tantrummy. Total utter and complete humiliation at toddler group today over a Little Tikes car after a week of public meltdowns have sent me hurtling towards the wine. I think the 'experts' say ignore or distract, personally I find ignore the most effective as at least I can switch off. No magic answers then. Op you are so not alone in this! and I'm glad it's not just me as bloody felt like it today. Now look this way posters with your magic solutions. Please.

aqualung Thu 13-Jun-13 16:32:58

Thanks for the replies. He's great at nursery. Massive one this morning as under time pressure to get dressed. He was exhausted at the end, calmed down, said sorry and by the time he arrived at nursery was angelic. Arghh!, it has to be a phase people!

Oh yes angelic EVERYWHERE else. Except last week when I had to walk out of a shop with her under my arm, pushing DS in the crappy 'car' stroller with my hip.

Now THAT was a shock! This too shall pass. This too shall pass. Etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now