When do slightly chubby toddlers thin out into lean children?

(37 Posts)

DD is 2.5 and has what I think is the normal chubbieness of a toddler. Her BMI is 16.4 which appears to be about 60th centile for her age. I am not concerned about her weight, just curious as to when children move from a toddler body shape to a child body shape.

SoTiredAgain Sun 26-May-13 08:10:30

Smaller portions? No, no, no to that unless she is eating massive amounts (highly unlikely). Instead chill out and enjoy the chubbiness. My DC was always long and lean and never went through a chubby stage though.

I'm just surprised you know what your 2.5 yo weighs blush

Dd2 is a little on the squishy side too. I'm still waiting for the slimming down.

I only know what she weighs because the HV do a 2.5 year check here. She hadnt been weighed since her last check at 1.

Dd hasn't seen a hv since her 8m check. [Bad mum
Emoticon ]

Two year check consisted of a checklist in post.

catty1234 Sun 26-May-13 08:49:09

I was very chubby at toddler stage, but with a year you could see my ribs. try joining toddler gym or tots swimming or something. They can meet friends and have fun and stay fit.

catty1234 Sun 26-May-13 08:49:37

smile

sillyoldfool Sun 26-May-13 08:56:49

DD1 was a chubby toddler at 3, she's now almost 6 and hasn't gained an ounce in weight but has grown upwards lots and lots, she's just stretched out and is now a normal little girl shape.
She's always eaten as much as she wants, but we never ever have junky snacks, she has a raw carrot or fruit, or a handful of almonds etc She was having the same snacks at 3, but at that point she was still bfing, which must have added quite a lot of extra calories.

Wincher Sun 26-May-13 08:57:17

This is interesting - my 2.10 year old still has that toddler tummy that I believe is because their organs are a bit big in proportion to the rest of them for a while. The rest of him is slimming out now though. I'll keep an eye on the tummy but I'm not too worried about his weight just yet. I have no idea how much he weighs or how tall he is!

sillyoldfool Sun 26-May-13 08:57:55

or just going to the park catty - the year that DD1 was in preschool we spent most of each afternoon in the park.

redwellybluewelly Sun 26-May-13 09:01:13

I'd say usually between 2-3years, my DD lost her baby podge around 1 because she was insanely active. Now tall and lean we offer well portioned meals which she can have seconds of but she doesn't particularly like sweet things so rarely has dessert. Does like a good morning and afternoon snack though.

Our NCT group had four babies on the 99% centile and two on the 25%, all are now pretty much the same body mass except one who was quite simply overfed - to the extent he couldn't roll as a baby because his gut got in the way!

They all even out, except if you feed them oodles of junk.

ShowOfHands Sun 26-May-13 09:07:13

I've just noticed 20 month old ds has started to change shape. He's started shooting up and he's getting definition in his legs and his tummy is less rounded, his ribs starting to protrude etc. At 20 months, he's definitely a toddler but slowly the changes are happening. He's never been chubby though. He was a v active baby, rolling at 12 weeks, sitting and crawling by 5 months, walking at 8/9 months.

DD was very, very chubby as a baby (though her length and weight were always completely in proportion) and she did that move from chubby toddler to slim child at about 2 and a half to 3 I reckon. She's only just 6 now, wears 7-8 or age 9 clothes because she's the tallest in her class (and the youngest) and is so thin you can count her ribs (normal). She is v sporty and has defined muscles and is strong from gymnastics training. I look at her sometimes, doing handstands and somersaults, whippet thin and lithe and can't believe she had rolls on rolls and was the chubbiest baby in the whole wide world once upon a time.

Wincher Sun 26-May-13 09:12:32

Since posting that I went and got DS dressed and realised his tummy really is slimming down now. So yes, I would agree 2.5-3 is the age this happens!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now