Is this an appropriate punishment?

(40 Posts)
margaritadrakeina Thu 23-May-13 18:02:20

If your child is messing around with their food/making a mess at the table is the following ok or not? To make them take their plate and put it next to the animals' bowls on the floor of the kitchen because 'if they're going to eat like an animal they may as well be treated like one'. Then make them eat the rest of their meal from the plate on floor next to the cats and dogs bowls (without cutlery, crouched over the plate like a cat) until the plate is cleared.

InsanelyBrainDeprived Thu 23-May-13 18:04:08

Really? biscuit

Smartieaddict Thu 23-May-13 18:04:39

Seriously? No definitely in no way is that OK!

WTF? I doubt this is a genuine question but OF COURSE NOT.

Pancakeflipper Thu 23-May-13 18:08:05

No.

Though I threatened them that I would drag the pig trough indoors once after one meal time where more ended up on the floor than in their tummies ( they are 8 and 4 yrs old).

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 23-May-13 18:09:19

Why are you asking? Back story please

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ItsallisnowaFeegle Thu 23-May-13 18:11:58

Go and wobble your fucking head OP.

WeAreSix Thu 23-May-13 18:12:33

No. Totally unacceptable.

Cluffyflump Thu 23-May-13 18:15:01

Is the child ok?
This is in no way ok. I would do serious harm to someone if they treated any of my dc like that!

ItsallisnowaFeegle Thu 23-May-13 18:15:02

Umm actually - yeah, I responded too harshly/ quickly.

If this is what you're using as punishment for your DC ^See my first response AND contact SS.

If you are asking as someone concerned for some other person's DC contact SS ASAP.

SlimePrincess Thu 23-May-13 18:26:42

Absolutely not appropriate.

redrubyshoes Thu 23-May-13 18:30:28

Take the plate away with no comment or fuss and offer no alternative. Repeat.

Praise when they eat properly.

Don't make them eat like a dog. Please.

SgtTJCalhoun Thu 23-May-13 18:30:33

No sad.

noisytoys Thu 23-May-13 18:35:52

Please tell me this hasn't happened / going to happen. It's terrible. It's degrading the poor child will be humiliated and will never forget it. Why would anyone even think of doing that?

margaritadrakeina Thu 23-May-13 19:00:24

Yes, seriously, it is a genuine question. No, I am not planning on enforcing this on my children. Back story is merely that I have recently started a course of counselling and I was asked to try and remember about my childhood. I didn't know if it was worth mentioning or if it just counts as normal discipline. Just wanted some opinions, that's all.

FarelyKnuts Thu 23-May-13 19:03:15

My not so darling mother used to cut out the middle man and just give the dinner to the dog if we didn't get to the table the first time she called us or act in an "appropriate" manner and that was abusive enough!
So to answer your question its not appropriate, it's abusive.

Oh no, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I hope counselling helps you.

Have some unmumsnet hugs ((( )))

crunchbag Thu 23-May-13 19:03:56

No it definitely does not count as normal discipline sad

SgtTJCalhoun Thu 23-May-13 20:10:20

OP I was given a plate of spaghetti and toast to take into my Dad for his lunch. I was five and it slid of the plate. My Mum made me eat it off the floor just as you describe.

I had forgotten and now I am sitting her shaking with rage thinking about it. I am sorry this happened to us. Yes it needs to be mentioned at your counselling.

Snog Thu 23-May-13 20:15:32

It is surely quite disturbing that you feel you need to ask this question

margaritadrakeina Thu 23-May-13 21:58:18

Why disturbing?

SgtTJCalhoun hope you're ok, sorry I reminded and upset you.

SgtTJCalhoun Thu 23-May-13 22:04:17

No it's fine. I told you because I wanted you to know you're not alone.

ballstoit Fri 24-May-13 07:26:29

Not okay, and I'm sorry that you experienced it x

cantreachmytoes Fri 24-May-13 07:32:01

Just wanted to add: really not ok.

Very sorry this happened to you (both).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now