12 year old dd suddenly having trouble falling asleep at night. How can I help her get past this?

(27 Posts)
Earlybird Wed 15-May-13 17:19:15

For the past 3 months, my 12 year old dd has had trouble falling asleep perhaps 2 nights a week.

She is an active child, so should be physically tired. I don't think she is especially worried about anything (I've asked). I think she simply has a very 'active' mind, and is currently having trouble turning it 'off' so she can fall asleep. (I've also wondered if the two insomniacs she's come into contact with over the past few months have introduced her to the concept.)

I've spoken to her multiple times about clearing her mind, imagining a completely black sky, meditating, etc but with little success. She finally fell asleep last night at 12.30, and of course, feels exhausted today. Help please!

apatchylass Sun 19-May-13 16:48:04

Thanks for replying, Lucinda. That's interesting. Will have to test it tonight. Although they have also just been on a long hilly walk, so that might help them sleep too...

Kiwiinkits Mon 20-May-13 03:23:56

When I'm pre-menstrual I have terrible insomnia. For two nights a month I don't sleep at all. It is DEFINITELY hormonal for me as its as regular clockwork. And there is a relationship between levels of progestorone and sleep. I would hazard a guess that in your DD's case it could be hormones too?
Otherwise, make a policy of no mobiles in her room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now