When did you stop undressing in front of your DCs (or did you?)

(13 Posts)
CocktailQueen Thu 09-May-13 12:36:31

DH and I still dress and undress in front of them. DC are 9 and 6.

notapizzaeater Thu 09-May-13 12:35:29

Ds nearly 11 - we all go around naked - not in the slightest bit fussed.

ATrust Thu 09-May-13 12:34:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ATrust Thu 09-May-13 12:33:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NapaCab Thu 09-May-13 05:04:42

Thanks for all your replies - all very reassuring!

I'm more worried because he's a boy, to be honest. If I had a daughter, it wouldn't bother me. I worry that I'm imprinting some Freudian issues on him by parading around the place in the nip!

At the same time, I would love for him to grow up to be relaxed about nakedness and not have the prudish hang-ups I had growing up due to my parents' attitude.

Restorer Wed 08-May-13 21:06:09

No-one goes out of their way to hide nudity here (except maybe DS1) but the boys don't really want to see me naked anymore and will leave the room quickly if they should stumble across me in my undies. They're 10 & 12

My mum still undresses in front of me, I'm 25. Actually both my aunts do to, the females of the family are very relaxed about that sort of thing and unless DD becomes uncomfortable with it I'm happy to carry that on. The men in the family though, and I mean every one of them, are VERY private. Won't undress in front of each other, young sons, any one in fact.
She does sing songs about my wobbly bum and then comfort me by saying its ok cos she has one too, secretly quite like the song actually :D

ohforfoxsake Wed 08-May-13 20:57:16

DS1 is 11 and doesn't want to see me naked, so that's fine. He doesn't want us to see him naked either.

Still have a bath with DD who is 6, not very often now but she asked the other day.

I think it's important that children know what adult bodies look like. I'd hate for them to think what they eventually see on the Internet or in the media are how we should be. We've had the talks at very ages, they ask why we are hairy where we are, why I have boobs, why they have nipples, why is my bum so big hmm

purpleroses Wed 08-May-13 20:49:55

Have stopped with DS when he was about 11 and hit puberty and clearly wasn't comfortable naked in front of me. Still comfortable with DD though and don't envisage this ever changing - my mother and I were always comfortable undressing together, even into adulthood. My dad stopped with me and Dsis when we reached puberty.

Don't think your DS is doing anything weird or odd with "tickle tickle" - but it is a good opportunity to start teaching him that some areas are private and you don't go tickling them. (Had to teach my DD this at about the same age when she tired grabbing DS's willy in the bath!)

loler Wed 08-May-13 20:49:36

My parents were pretty relax - Not seen my dad for years and years but my DM would still be comfortable in front of me. I'm not quite as relaxed but I think that its important for the DC not to be weirded out by bodies.

18mnths I still had baths with them. DS1 is 8 and I try to be in at least underwear but he's not particularly bothered about personal space and wonders into the bathroom.

I don't think it's an issue because we haven't made it one.

DH had completely different up bringing and it took him years to relax even with me!

barnet Wed 08-May-13 20:47:29

I still do, dd7 and ds5. I've had no tickle tickle tho! Just comments on how i have the biggest bum etc grin

blueshoes Wed 08-May-13 20:44:30

I am still undressing in front of them and so does dh. Dcs are 9 and 6.

NapaCab Wed 08-May-13 20:38:05

Since DS started going through a fussy phase at 9 months and didn't want me out of his sight, I've always had him in the bathroom with me in the mornings as otherwise he would scream at the door. I have just got used to having him around while I shower and pee.

Now he's 18 months, however, and is starting to get body aware e.g. puts his hand inside his nappy and giggles, saying 'tickle, tickle' and puts his hand on his bits when I change him while laughing etc. All that is developmentally normal as far as I'm aware. Recently, I came out of the shower, however, had just put my underwear on and he came up to me, touched his hand between my legs and giggled 'tickle tickle!' blush. I was a bit weirded out by that and am a bit worried that it's inappropriate for me to dress or undress in front of him now.

I wanted to be relaxed about these things with my DC as my parents were very uptight and puritanical and it made me feel anxious, which I don't want to pass onto my DC. However, it is also weird to see my DS obsessing over this 'tickle tickle' business!!

So did you stop undressing in front of your DC at some point and if so, at what age?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now