Double your height at two

(15 Posts)
LittleMilla Tue 07-May-13 19:59:52

Strawberry - my DS is also extremely handsome grin along with charming and funny so I'm not too concerned! He literally has all of the nursery staff falling over themselves to be with him, so hoping his magnetic personality will make up for any height shortcomings!

LittleMilla Tue 07-May-13 19:39:59

The lines go all the way until they're four. So you can see where they're tracking.

From six months ago DS appears to have slipped from just above 9th percentile down to just above 2nd hmm. Thing is, their growth spurts are just so unpredictable!

BreasticlesNTesticles Tue 07-May-13 19:39:47

As a child I had tests for gigantism as I was off all charts at GOS for height and weight for a 3 year old.

I am 5ft9.

I was 5ft by aged 8 though, children literally grow at different rates.

StrawberryMojito Tue 07-May-13 19:36:05

I'm with you OP. My 19 month old DS is only on the 9th centile for height which will make him a 5'6" adult at best. DH was a small child but had a big growth spurt around 16 and is now 5'10" so I'm hoping DS takes after him and not me (5'3"). That said, DS is extremely handsome so it won't matter what height he is smile

ChasingStaplers Tue 07-May-13 19:33:59

Good point creatureretorts - my DS was 85cm at his 2 year check and is now 2 and 3 months and 86cm when I last measured him so goodness only knows how much he'll grow before three.

MagicBaguette Tue 07-May-13 19:29:23

I was just over 3ft age 2.

This would mean I should be 6ft now...

But I'm only 5ft 7. Things level out smile

Although I was tall at 2, lots of people caught me up by the time I got to school!

NulliusInBlurba Tue 07-May-13 19:29:11

But what I found quite weird was when I had a 20-week scan with DD1. I'm not in the UK so was following a slightly different scanning programme, and the 20-week scan was a high definition anomaly one which also measured the size of just about every bone. The gynaecologist looked at all the measurements in relationship to each other and commented that DD1 would reach up to 1 metre 80, which is quite tall for a girl (about 5 ft 8 or 9, I think). She's now 14 and already at 1 metre 75, so he might well be right. It's interesting because neither DH nor myself are particularly tall, so he wouldn't have been guessing from our heights. It was such a weird feeling being told the final height of a baby that hadn't even been born at the time.

AmandinePoulain Tue 07-May-13 19:28:53

Dd1 was 90cm at 2 (I remember because we went to Legoland and she was just tall enough to go on the rides) and as I'm 160cm and dh is on the shorter side of average I really don't think she'll be 180cm tall! hmm

phnarphnarphnar Tue 07-May-13 19:27:40

That would make DS 6'8'' which is a little bit worrying!!!

Is this just turned 2 or just before they turn 3?!

bigkidsdidit Tue 07-May-13 19:22:47

this was on More or Less on Radio 4 recently. It's not true smile

apparently something like 95% of 2yo (I can't remember) are within 5cm of each other, whereas adults are far more distributed and not within 10cm.

ChasingStaplers Tue 07-May-13 19:18:47

Just checked the little red book (as my DS2 is quite short) and it says something along the lines of 'height at age two doubled is the height of 95% of people, allowing for 6cm variation each way' hmm so not very accurate at all!
According to DS's height now, he will be 5'10 but add another 6cm and he's 6ft ish!

ChocsAwayInMyGob Tue 07-May-13 19:14:46

It's a well used rule of thumb, but remember that even the shortest sixth former can have a big growth spurt!

LittleMilla Tue 07-May-13 19:14:09

Meant to add, my dad's two brothers are 6 footers and my DH comes from a pretty average height family.

I am a mere 5ft 1 however!

LittleMilla Tue 07-May-13 19:13:06

Can someone tell me if this tends to work.

DS who was two on Sunday is only 82cm and I'm feeling hmm that he's got a lifetime of being the shortest ahead of him.

He's an absolute hero is every way and I KNOW it doesn't matter. I just feel sad as smaller guys do get a slightly harder time. My dad is a short arse and managed to excel at sports so was ok.

Can anyone regale me with tales of it either working out or not for their children?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now