10 months old, should I be worried?

(9 Posts)

Thank you everyone grin, very reassuring ! Goldmandra, I hadn't really looked at it that way, but your right, at least if anything is wrong, it will be picked up as early as it possibly could be.

meandtheboys Thu 09-May-13 20:17:14

DS2 didn't really babble until he was 12 months ish. He's 16 months now and literally never stops babbling and pointing at things. He has about 10 words such as 'ball' 'more' 'cup' 'sausages' 'bus' 'strawberries' 'door' so he's well within the 'normal' range now but this has all happened over the last 8 weeks. Babies tend to come along all of a sudden and leave you wondering what you were worrying about! Just to echo what everyone else said, the HV is probably just being cautious incase he doesn't catch up on his own but there's every hope that he will and the help is available if he doesn't. x

Goldmandra Thu 09-May-13 13:59:58

Lots of babies and toddlers are a bit late in their speech development and the vast majority of them catch up on their own and end up fine.

A very small number won't catch up without help and the only way to identify them is to keep tabs on every baby who isn't quite where they should be. Once they've identified a possible child they can keep a closer eye to see if things resolve themselves and, if not, they can make a nice early referral.

This is positive for you whichever way it turns out. If he is just hitting a bit of a sticky patch which resolves itself no harm has been done. If he does need some SALT intervention he has been picked up nice and early.

Try not to worry. Chances are he will catch up by himself and you'll wonder what you were so worried about smile

awwwwmannnn Thu 09-May-13 13:44:47

at DD 9month review, she was babbling away for Britain, massively impressing the HV.....now at 2.4 still waiting for proper words to come out, have had her ears checked and has been assessed overall, and told she is in the "normal" range with speech and 6-8 months ahead with everything else!!

my friends DD who is 1 week older, was not making any noises at all at 9months, HV raised concerns and said she would check her again at 12months....now at 2.4 you can hold a full proper conversation with her like you were talking to another adult.

i really wouldn't worry about it honestly, just carry on talking to him and reading to him and he'll get there. as i was trying to say above, all children are unique and really will do things in their own time and only when they are good and ready to x

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 07-May-13 19:54:26

At 10 months I wouldn't say geegee for horse or bow wow for dog, that kind of thing.

Come and check every few weeks for the time being. I'm not sure after that. He makes a Laaa noise and a Yur (a bit like here in a Cardiff accent) noise, but just those really and only sometimes

hazeyjane Tue 07-May-13 19:32:56

Did the hv say what she was going to do next? Does he make any 'ba' 'da' 'ga' noises?

Donkeys - I am curious, why do you say no baby talk?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 07-May-13 15:43:34

I'm no expert but babies develop at their own pace, if HV didn't pay heed to babies not hitting certain milestones she'd be failing in her job. What did she say?

On average babies seem to babble around 6-7 months, then come out with something recognizable like 'Papa' or 'Mumma' around 8 months. Does DS respond to his name? Does he react to "No"?

If HV flags your son's speech up as an area of concern, she will have something in mind, perhaps at his next check. In the meantime you can keep encouraging him by talking to him, (not baby talk), reading baby books with him, nursery rhymes when he's in a bouncy chair or highchair.

When he does start uttering stuff, your DS may come out with more of a noise than a distinct word, but if the sound is repeated and always refers to the same thing then that counts as a word.

Instead of speaking your DS could just be learning something else in the meantime.

Had DS's 9 month check today (he's just 10 months old) and the HV was very worried he wasn't babbling yet. He turns and smiles, glares, roars when spoken to. he just sounds rather more, ummm, dinosaur like than human in his noises.

Is it really something to worry about yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now